Who's made the switch from motorbikes to scooters?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Re: Who's made the switch from motorbikes to scooters?

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

Similar to Roadster, I got my first scooter back in the 90's.

At the time I was riding ZX6R, when I took it in for a service I saw an Italjet Dragster 180 sitting in the corner of the showroom. I got chatting to the salesman and he let me take it for testride while my bike was being done. Being young and impulsive, I was back in the showroom an hour later with a big smile on my face and my credit card in hand. After that, the ZX6R saw very little use and was sold later that year.

I do miss that little Dragster, in hindsight I was I'd never sold it.

Dr Gonzo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Dr Gonzo »

I miss the grunt of a bike and the cornering lean angles you can achieve
I'm more than happy with the cornering on my TMax. The chicken strips are getting narrower al the time.

Dogsbody
Current Ride: Burgman 400 Honda C125 400-4

Post by Dogsbody »

First legal bike was a Raleigh Roma way back in1962! Passed test then 350 Velocette. Worked in a bike shop, owned a bike shop, raced for 14 years so rode many bikes for sixty years. Spent thirty years as a rep in the trade then last eight years back on the spanners. Now ride of choice is a Burgman 400 with a Super Cub for knocking about and a 400/4 for occasional use. Started on a scoot, ended on a scoot.

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

OneFootInTheGravy wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:54 am Similar to Roadster, I got my first scooter back in the 90's.

At the time I was riding ZX6R, when I took it in for a service I saw an Italjet Dragster 180 sitting in the corner of the showroom. I got chatting to the salesman and he let me take it for testride while my bike was being done. Being young and impulsive, I was back in the showroom an hour later with a big smile on my face and my credit card in hand. After that, the ZX6R saw very little use and was sold later that year.

Had a test ride on one of these and liked it, but it was another 10 years before taking to scooters unfortunately. They are out there but not cheap, still cheaper than an X7 Suzuki or rd350 though .

fullcirclemax

Post by fullcirclemax »

Dogsbody wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:03 am First legal bike was a Raleigh Roma way back in1962! Passed test then 350 Velocette. Worked in a bike shop, owned a bike shop, raced for 14 years so rode many bikes for sixty years. Spent thirty years as a rep in the trade then last eight years back on the spanners. Now ride of choice is a Burgman 400 with a Super Cub for knocking about and a 400/4 for occasional use. Started on a scoot, ended on a scoot.
Not legal but my first bike was a Roma at 12 , after riding a friends tiger cub I wanted my own bike and that was the first one to come along. So it’s what I learnt to ride on, the cub only went a few yards before playing up!

fullcirclemax

Post by fullcirclemax »

Back on subject, I was having issues with my clutch hand and started with a mk1 Tmax about 2011 . The hand isn’t so bad these days but I will always have at least one automatic in the garage.

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

fullcirclemax wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:47 am
OneFootInTheGravy wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:54 am Similar to Roadster, I got my first scooter back in the 90's.

Had a test ride on one of these and liked it, but it was another 10 years before taking to scooters unfortunately. They are out there but not cheap, still cheaper than an X7 Suzuki or rd350 though .
There is currently one of these on eBay, same colour as the one I used to have, with low miles and good(ish) condition for £4500. (I sold mine for £900 in 2002). But while I do miss it I don't think I'd have another. With it being a 2 stroke and all it would be too much of a pain to run these days. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295695875448 ... %7Ciid%3A1

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Being slightly aged my steeds have mostly been motorcycles - those things that get very dirty and have gearboxes and clutches! They used to be the Only things in the 50’s and 60’s and were the most economical way to get to work or do most anything, my Triumphs both ‘48 3T and 5T Speed Twin together with my ‘52 Sunbeam S8 were amongst my daily runabouts until I came across my 6month old Maicoletta 277cc which was a blast to ride, twas in ‘89 that I came across my Honda CN250 Helix which appealed because of its neat covering with reasonable sized wheels enabling it to comfortably maintain 70mph - having years earlier done the Ton on the 5T I had no further wish to kill my self and was quite happy at 70mph - but the CN (bought new) had a problem with constantly trying to steer left making riding somewhat tiring on longer journeys but it was kept for many years until 2006 when I sold it with 7000 miles on. Around ‘88 My introduction to Honda was with a new NH80 Lead; My first twist & go bike which was a revelation and very enjoyable especially on journeys to work and the local airfield Biggin Hill providing super journeys for 12,000 miles before it packed in. My Sunbeam stayed with me for more than 50 years only being sold 4 years ago because it became too heavy to lift onto its stand. In its place came my most delightful Honda ST70 which joins my rebuilt Honda NH125 Lead and my later CN250 Helix both of which are super light and easily manageable - except that they, like me, are resting at the moment…..

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Jimo wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 am Being slightly aged my steeds have mostly been motorcycles - those things that get very dirty and have gearboxes and clutches! They used to be the Only things in the 50’s and 60’s and were the most economical way to get to work or do most anything, my Triumphs both ‘48 3T and 5T Speed Twin together with my ‘52 Sunbeam S8 were amongst my daily runabouts until I came across my 6month old Maicoletta 277cc which was a blast to ride, twas in ‘89 that I came across my Honda CN250 Helix which appealed because of its neat covering with reasonable sized wheels enabling it to comfortably maintain 70mph - having years earlier done the Ton on the 5T I had no further wish to kill my self and was quite happy at 70mph - but the CN (bought new) had a problem with constantly trying to steer left making riding somewhat tiring on longer journeys but it was kept for many years until 2006 when I sold it with 7000 miles on. Around ‘88 My introduction to Honda was with a new NH80 Lead; My first twist & go bike which was a revelation and very enjoyable especially on journeys to work and the local airfield Biggin Hill providing super journeys for 12,000 miles before it packed in. My Sunbeam stayed with me for more than 50 years only being sold 4 years ago because it became too heavy to lift onto its stand. In its place came my most delightful Honda ST70 which joins my rebuilt Honda NH125 Lead and my later CN250 Helix both of which are super light and easily manageable - except that they, like me, are resting at the moment…..

Jim
Yes, I know the feeling Jim! I'm resting too. Two heat attacks take a bit of getting over... :o ;) Lovely to hear from you!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I hope you are doing good Data, bloody hell, how are you feeling????
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.