Who's made the switch from motorbikes to scooters?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Dr Gonzo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650

Who's made the switch from motorbikes to scooters?

Post by Dr Gonzo »

I traded my motorcycle for a TMax last September and I'm wondering how many others have made a similar transition.

If you have, why did you do it and what if anything do you miss from your motorcycling days?

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Re: Who's made the switch from motorbikes to scooters?

Post by knight2 »

Yes I did, about eighteen months ago I traded in my Honda nt 700 Deauville, which I'd owned for over eleven years, for a 650 burgman.
Why, I think I'd kind of lost interest in bikes, not riding, just didn't like modern bikes. I thought about buying a classic but I wanted some thing reliable and comfortable as I still ride quite long distances when I go out. I'd seen a Piaggio X10 500 at a dealers a couple of years ago and really liked it, so I started looking at Maxi scooters. Tried Piaggio X10 350, thought the engine was brillaint, but the bike itself a bit on the small side, having said that if they'd offered me a better deal I might have bought it. Then tried a Maxsym 600 and the Burgman and bought the Burgman, it's a 12 plate so it's the older model which I prefered then! now I'm wondering :D
Do I miss anything, not really, not much has changed I just ride a scooter instead of a bike. I was never a sociable biker I'd sooner be riding than sitting around drinking coffee and chatting about it. I had thought about buying an outfit but was never convinced I'd enjoy one, still like leaning over going around corners.
No regrets about buying the Burgman I think it's a brilliant bit of kit every time a ride it I look forward to the next ride.

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

i did many years ago.[2003] still got same scoots but still would like a motor bike with gears,just dont know how many cc i would need.
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I can't make my mind up, so I have 2 scooters and 2 motorcycles, for touring you can't beat a big maxi scooter, if you visit anywhere people are more friendly when you turn up, and you can store the biker gear and move on.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

Yes a scooter for poor weather ( easier to clean afterwards) and town riding, Bike for the open road in good weather.........

But the missus prefers the scoot so if she's in on the trip, its the scoot....!
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Dr Gonzo wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:23 am I traded my motorcycle for a TMax last September and I'm wondering how many others have made a similar transition.

If you have, why did you do it and what if anything do you miss from your motorcycling days?
I started riding maxi scooters in 2006 after injuring my knee.

I'd ridden Harley Davidsons for pretty much 20 years previously.

What maxi scooters gave me was a very much easier, safer, more convenient alternative. Something I'd indeed craved, but when I had it, I didn't really want.

I guess I missed the lack of practicality, the knowledge that I'd get wet if it rained, the less complex pleasures (and displeasures) of a simpler bike.

Since then I've switched backwards and forwards with irregular frequency. Truth is, I can see both sides, but can't always decide which I prefer.

I could really end up as one of those people with 17 different bikes/scooters and the ability to justify the need to keep each one. Only my OCD, and the need to keep shit simple, limits me to two maximum.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

I did it the other way...
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

scootabout
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by scootabout »

After buying a Dylan 125 in 2006, hoping my wife would ride it too, I thought it was great. In 2009 I had a ride on a SH300 and was hooked enough to sell my BMW R850R. The SH300 did almost everything that the BMW did (Touring Scotland, two-up to Wales, Round Britain Rally, commuting, shopping), but with less luggage capacity, although with throw overs added it wasn't too far behind.
In 2012 I cracked and bought a bargain K75, but didn't actually ride it much, so swapped it for another Honda 90 a couple of years later. I've been scooter only (if you include the C90s) ever since.

I do get tempted by something light and manageable, but I know it would be a summer's day toy for me.

I know some of the mags aren't too anti-scoot, but they never really put across the real practicality of them - or the lack of practicality of bikes (which manufacturers could easily do something about).

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

After a Honda 50 "scooterette" in 1966, I had numerous motorcycles until 2002, when I bought a Piaggio X9 500. After that I enjoyed riding both bikes and scooters until last year, when I sold my last motorcycle due to problems operating the gear change lever, and clutch lever.
I am currently enjoying riding just auto scooters, which I now find easier than a conventional motorcycle, but sometimes miss the power, handling, and comfort of some of my previous bikes .
However, I am still riding, and still enjoying it.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Went from a GSX1400 to a new Burgman 400 & loved it. The GSX was a great mile muncher but so was the Burgman. The Burgman was far superior in practicality & far more comfortable. So much storage space on the Burgman. However, I found the weight of the Burgman a constant background annoyance especially after suffering a back injury. Hence I now ride the GTS300 Vespa. A lighter (161kg's) but still quite large midrange machine with good presence on the road. Probably love it more than mostly any of the 40 or so bikes that I've owned in the last 53 years. Won't be selling it anytime soon! ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...