Old(ish) Vespa with low miles

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Old(ish) Vespa with low miles

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

Hi all, as is customary for this time of year, I have been looking to replace my Vispa with something a little newer. I gave seen a 2019 GTV with only 300 miles on the clock, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad? If it has been sat for the last 4 years not being used will it have had any negative effects on the engine (perishing seals etc)? Also, would it be fine to run it in as if it were new, or would you need to take anything extra into consideration with it having sat around so long?

Also, (this is probably one for Data) for a similar price I could get a newer low mileage HPE Vespa, would that be a better option?

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: Old(ish) Vespa with low miles

Post by horobags »

I'm sure Data will be along soon to put you right but old fuel would be my first concern,
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Only comment I can make is that the companies source parts from all over the world, and these 'not in house' parts can fail.
If the fuel pump and sender are working on the older model and body work is good, I would buy and use that one, take out the seat bucket and use a protective silicon lubricant on the parts and electrics.
My own 2008 250 GTS, is still totally mint, only 13000 miles on it, I took a chance on it and it rewards me each time I use it. Happy Days.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Hi OneFoot, guys. Oooh....this is interesting! That GTV sounds exciting. It should be a good buy too if you do a few things before attempting to use it.

As horobags says, the fuel needs draining if there's any in it & new stuff putting in. Don't try & start it untill this is done. The injector may clog if you do. Some tiny amount of the old fuel will still be left in the pump & injector line that shouldn't cause an issue with clean fuel pushing it through. But you may need to run some fuel system & injector cleaner through it once you get it going. New battery will be needed. MUST change the engine coolant straight away & of course the oil & filter. Transmission belt should be fine but check it in the first 6 months. Tyres will be ok unless it's been standing in one spot, unmoved on its side stand for the period of storage. Engine will be dry of lubrication in some areas after its storage period. So let it turn over on the starter to pump some oil around. Obviously check oil level before doing this. Engine seals again should be ok as they are made from mostly hard wearing neoprene & other hard oil & heat resistant plastics. In effect the bike just needs a good service. Yes, you will still need to finish the running in.

The HPE that you have also seen will have a bit more power. But the GTV could be the better buy if you can save some money. At the end of the day you can't go far wrong with either one I think.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor

As always, thanks for the good advice. I am sorely tempted but I will have to do some sweet talking to Mrs OneFoot first. It's currently sat in Cardiff so I would need to get the dealer to do all of the above (plus give it its first MOT) if I were to part exchange, as I would be unable to ride it home without this. Out of interest, how would you tell if the tyres had been stood in one spot for all that time?

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Although not Vespa/Piaggio products, both my regular rides are bikes that stood idle for 15 years plus.

One is a '92 I've had 9 years now, and the other a '97 I've had for 3 years.

A 2019 bike is only 4 years old. If it's only been stood that length of time in a ventilated, dry space I'd have no qualms about buying it, riding it and dealing with the minimal fallout of the lay up.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

OneFootInTheGravy wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:24 am As always, thanks for the good advice. I am sorely tempted but I will have to do some sweet talking to Mrs OneFoot first. It's currently sat in Cardiff so I would need to get the dealer to do all of the above (plus give it its first MOT) if I were to part exchange, as I would be unable to ride it home without this. Out of interest, how would you tell if the tyres had been stood in one spot for all that time?
You can only really tell by riding it. The tyres develop a deformation & go slightly out of round. You can feel it as you ride. The rear tyre should be fine if it's been parked up on the centre stand as that's clear of the ground. Front will have been in contact with the ground but not taking the bikes full weight so as long as it had plenty of air in it the tyre should be ok. It's really only if it's been on the side stand for 4 yrs that their could be a problem. Good luck!

PS. You probably know but I forgot to mention the gearbox oil will need to be changed & the brake fluid too!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor

So after talking to Mrs OneFoot it turns out that didn't really want a new scooter after all! (To be fair mine is running really nicely at the minute)

But as a concession I have been allowed to buy a new exhaust, so it's not all bad. I do have some more questions for Data on this subject but I'll start a new thread for that though when I get a minute