To Lambda or not to Lambda, that is the question.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: To Lambda or not to Lambda, that is the question.

Post by roadster »

OneFootInTheGravy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:32 am Thanks. I don't have any diesel but I found an old bottle of ACF 50 lurking at the back of my tools. I've been liberally applying that, and even with the heat gun I can't get the thing to budge. I think I'll have to wait for the new sensor to arrive in a couple of days.
Provided you don't mind destroying it and cutting off the wire an impact wrench with deep socket might be your only solution.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

So the new O2 sensor finally arived and the new exhust is on and sounding great. The only problem I have now is that the latch to the glove box has stopped working/jammed/broke so i can't get to the took box twhich I need for the sparkplug tool! The scooter gods are not looking down favourably on me at the minute icon_dunno.gif

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Hi OneFoot. It's almost certainly the spring on the lever that tensions the glovebox latch has broken. I say spring loosely because it is actually an elastic band type of setup. The rubber perishes & let's the latch mechanism go so when you push the ignition switch inwards to release the latch nothing happens. You should still be able to open it by removing the front horn cover &/or the knee pad covers over the coolant & electrics on the other side, then fishing around with a wire coat hanger to find the lever that operates the latch. If you have a workshop manual you may be able to see the long lever that operates the latch in a photo. But it's on the right side of the steering column below the ignition switch. Alternatively, take the whole glovebox off as ultimately you will have to do that to fix it with a new heavy duty band anyway. Good luck.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

Yeah, I found a perished rubber thingy when I was fishing around with my hand, so I'm guessing it's that. Do you know if there are any screws inside the actual glove box that need to be removed to take the whole back of the leg shield/whole glove box off? So far I've only found a video for the newer models and there is a screw inside that bit that is locked! I've tried fishing around for the latch for about an hour with no luck so far. I can feel the top of the latch with the tips of my fingers but I just don't have the strength or the right technique to spring it. I'll try again this weekend. Bloody thing

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Hello OneFoot. https://modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-glov ... erYep...go here:

The guy doing the work is Micbergsma. He's a brilliant guy for Vespa videos. I actually have come to know him a bit and we have spoken many many times over the years. He is deaf so is very good at showing actually how to do something rather than telling you. He and I both had Burgman 400's for several years and he made many videos about those as well.

It's not hard to get off and on but just slightly fiddly when it comes to unhooking the cable for the emergency seat release lever in the glove box. You need some needle nose pliers to make it easy. Watch out for the big screw in the centre of the glove box itself and remove it.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

roadster wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:10 am
OneFootInTheGravy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:32 am Thanks. I don't have any diesel but I found an old bottle of ACF 50 lurking at the back of my tools. I've been liberally applying that, and even with the heat gun I can't get the thing to budge. I think I'll have to wait for the new sensor to arrive in a couple of days.
Provided you don't mind destroying it and cutting off the wire an impact wrench with deep socket might be your only solution.
Yeah, to one & all for future reference you don't have to cut the cable. It just unplugs from the wiring loom under the seat.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Data wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:47 am
roadster wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:10 am
Yeah, to one & all for future reference you don't have to cut the cable. It just unplugs from the wiring loom under the seat.
That only works if the connector and wire can be fed out through the socket some how.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yeah, it works roadster. I've done more lambda replacements on the GTS's than I care to remember. Usually only on high mileage bikes.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Data wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:04 pm Yeah, it works roadster. I've done more lambda replacements on the GTS's than I care to remember. Usually only on high mileage bikes.
how are you doing Data, after your recent illness???
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Hi Horobags,

Yes I'm doing well Horobags. Recovery isn't linear though and I've had some days worse than others. My prognosis is good! I'm now starting to ride the GTS much more regularly. In fact just about to do a full service including valves. Hoping you are good. Thanks for asking.

PS. I did respond to your post a couple of days ago but somehow it's disappeared from the thread. Wondering where it went? Mods...was it you guys :o ?