Insurance

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Insurance

Post by knight2 »

As a matter of interest if I bought a Peugeot Metropolis and my wife or daughter wanted to have a go, would their car insurance cover them even though they don't have a bike licence?. I would think it should has their licence does and it should be classed and registered as a trike. Just a thought that crossed my mind as I was window shopping.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Insurance

Post by MrGrumpy »

I guess that if you don't need a Bike licence to ride a Metropolis, and can ride it on a Car licence, I guess that it must be legal for them to ride the Metropolis on their car licences, so you'd thus expect their insurance to cover them, if it covers them to ride 'other vehicles'....as long as it says 'Other vehicles' not 'Other Cars'. You'd probably ought to examine the insurance policies carefully...

Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Post by Argyll »

Simple answer is....what do their policies say?

For example, my actual Certificate allows me to drive another "Motor Vehicle" although in the summary that is referred to "any car or van".

There must be a legal definition of "Motor vehicle" somewhere.

OneFootInTheGravy
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by OneFootInTheGravy »

I think the more important question is, would you let them?
I know if I bought one the wife and kids wouldn't be allowed anywhere near it :lol:

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

I suppose it's all down to reading the fine print and defining what is a motor vehicle. I also wondered if these three wheelers are registered as trikes or motorbikes as that might make a big difference.
Onefoot, would I let them have a go yes definetly if they wanted to. I doubt if my wife would, but you never know. My Daughter probably would, but she is 45 so not what you'd call a kid, though we do. I didn't mention my son as he has a bike licence but doesn't own a car or a bike so he ony has insurance for his courier business which at the moment is four vans.