Essex…..

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Re: Essex…..

Post by Stibbs »

mottza wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:37 am I hope he paid the toll at the Manningtree level crossing too.
:D

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Been to Essex...and survived! What a hole that place is.....
Noticed that there are quite a few riders of little scooters there, often with big top boxes so I guess they are in the food delivery business. I was intrigued that most seem to still have their handlebar muffs on - mine get removed in Spring! It seems that these yoof retain the muffs, but in Summer don't bother with gloves - which probably works fine....until you crash. Very odd.

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

I once went to Essex it was a very long time ago, about 1962 I think. Went to a place called Harlow newtown, bet it doesn't look so new now. I was going to say I've never been back but I remember delivering stuff in the Basildon area.
Been to Felixstowe a few times picking up and dropping off containers and yes I've still got my permit. Should have taken it back but never did. I don't think the Border Police will be too bothered :oops: :D

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Was walking the dog yesterday evening in my picturesque little Essex village around the village green and pond and I heard music. So I followed the noise and there was a brass band playing an evening concert in the grounds of the church, which was once the abbey where Henry VIII's illegitimate son was born. It was lovely although given that they were in amongst the gravestones, playing the Addams Family theme (compete with screams) was a bit surreal.

A couple of months ago we had 500+ classic British bikes meet on the same village green, which was also the site of a De Dion Bouton meet-up some weeks before.

So yes, while some parts of Essex may well be "holes", most of the county is actually really rather delightful. Especially my bit :)
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Certainly, Epping Forest, The Epping-Ongar Railway and Greensted wooden church (St. Andrew's) are nice bits of Essex that I know quite well. :)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Yes, Essex is a brilliant county to live in. And let's not forget it's one of the very big powerhouses of the economy. Too many folks think of the various TV stereo types of the county, which thankfully are not actually true. Of course there are some places in it that are more desirable than others just like in every other county. But it has some of the most uniquely beautiful countryside in the UK. It's just a bit flatter than up north. :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Whilst I grew up there, and have been to most of it, I'm struggling to think of Essex countryside I'd describe as 'beautiful' - yes there are pleasant bits and very attractive villages in the north of the county, but its only... OK. There again, since I live within 15 mins of the N York Moors and half an hour from the Yorkshire Dales and the North Pennines, I guess I've got used to very high standards of scenery!!

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

You're right it's a lot bumpier up north and they may call Yorkshire God's county, for good reason, but it's got it's share of horrible bits as well. I'm not a Yorkie but I love the place most of my riding icon_maxi_scoot.gif is done in the dales and the scenery is stunning in places. You've also got the extra road hazard icon_th_lamsey_woot.gif :D

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I'm enjoying riding the Penines, moors and dales and Northumbria in general.
Glad I moved North to Co Durham.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:47 am Whilst I grew up there, and have been to most of it, I'm struggling to think of Essex countryside I'd describe as 'beautiful' - yes there are pleasant bits and very attractive villages in the north of the county, but its only... OK. There again, since I live within 15 mins of the N York Moors and half an hour from the Yorkshire Dales and the North Pennines, I guess I've got used to very high standards of scenery!!
Yeah, I'd agree with you about the Yorkshire Dales etc. But I don't think you know Essex well enough Grumpy. I've lived & travelled all over the Uk including living in the beautiful Cotswolds. Stunning! But Essex has it's own attractions of just about every kind.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...