Final Drive Oil

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Final Drive Oil

Post by velocipede6295 »

I am servicing my 2019, Honda 300 Forza, and cannot find any reference in the owner's manual, to the grade of oil for the final drive. It just states the grade for the engine oil ( 10/30 Jaso T 903) but does not specify any particular oil for the final drive, It just says 1.28 Ltr to fill, after draining.
Does anyone know what oil should be used in the final drive?
Thanks.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Re: Final Drive Oil

Post by Funkycowie »

ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

Thanks, I had seen that video, his is an earlier model and he uses 10/30 engine oil. I wondered if it needed a specific gear oil such as Fuchs Silkolene scooter gear oil 80/90 which seems to be quite a heavier grade oil, or is engine oil OK?

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

I also recently bought a Forza. It appears that you use engine oil in the final drive, as was the case with my Silverwing600. i did over 46000 mls on the silverwing and did my own servicing always used engine oil in the final drive,never had any problems. When the time comes for a final drive oill change on the Forza i will use engine oil.

velocipede6295

Post by velocipede6295 »

That's a great recommendation - I'll use engine oil. Thanks for that Sylar.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Just as an aside matter. The viscocity of a 75/90 gear oil is the same as a 10/40 engine oil. Gear oils are not really about being thicker, just more robust in shear stability and sacraficial minerals to protect the gears under extreme pressure. Whether a particular gearbox or gear hub needs a gear oil or engine oil is dependant on the type of gears used in the gearbox or hub eg: helical or straight cut, and the type of materials used in the construction of the gears or hub and the type of finishing/hardening process used. It's all good fun! :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

I would recommend this

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

The official Yamaha service CD time/mileage matrix for my Mk3 Tmax says to change my final drivecase chain oil every service, which seems excessive. I know its not super-expensive to do and only 700ml but the stuff I drain out is always pristine. Gear oil lasts for tens of thousands of miles in a gearbox, why should an encased chain need fresh oil so often ?

Any Tmax owners know if this is an error in the service schedule for the Mk 3??

I believe it was every 10k on the Mk1/Mk2 ?

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

What sort of oil is it in the Yamaha chaincase? Engine or gear oil?

One of the reasons the service interval for the chain oil may have changed, is due to a possible realisation that the chains last a lot longer with more frequent oil changes. Some VW/Audi & Nissans and Honda cars now require a frequent gearbox oil change (every 18 months) due to alterations to the types of gears used in some of there gearboxes. Yet some cars previously of the same type with same engines and gearboxes used to go nearly the the whole life of the car with the same oil in them. In addition, oils themselves are constantly evolving whether engine or gearbox oils and may in some cases need changing more often. It's possible also that cheaper or different chains are being used on the latest Tmaxs and one way of getting them to last longer is to change the oil frequently. This is how manufacturers often economise. Less cost to them, more cost to you. :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Pukmeister wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:43 am The official Yamaha service CD time/mileage matrix for my Mk3 Tmax says to change my final drivecase chain oil every service, which seems excessive. I know its not super-expensive to do and only 700ml but the stuff I drain out is always pristine. Gear oil lasts for tens of thousands of miles in a gearbox, why should an encased chain need fresh oil so often ?

Any Tmax owners know if this is an error in the service schedule for the Mk 3??

I believe it was every 10k on the Mk1/Mk2 ?
Yes...the book for my mk3 says change every 6k miles, which is definitely a surprise! I always thought it was a major service thing (every 12k miles), and assumed even that was over cautious. I have a vague recollection that on the mk1/2 the instruction was to check the level every 6k miles and presumably change every 12k. Its not even a gearbox, just a chain after alll!

Random thought - there is a 'gearbox' (as Yamaha describe it) where the drive comes across the bike from the CVT on the RHS to the chain drive on the LHS, with a couple of gears. I only know this as its where a bearing failed on my mk6! This doesn't seem to require any maintenance, which seems rather odd!