Trying not to get paranoid

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Dr Gonzo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650

Trying not to get paranoid

Post by Dr Gonzo »

One year ago I had my first TMax stolen after less than two months of ownership. That was on my birthday.

A replacement was sorted after much arguing with the insurance company. Fast forward to the summer and it gets stolen but this time there's a tracker on it. I get it back the same morning.

Today I'm on a train heading to Bruges to celebrate my birthday and I get a message from the tracking company, yup you guessed the TMax has been stolen again. This followed by a message from a neighbour that three men I a transit lifted it and threatened him.

Police are now receiving the scooter while I try and enjoy my birthday in Bruges.

Seriously considering giving up on TMaxs and buying a BMW C650. Surely no one will want to nick one of those...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Trying not to get paranoid

Post by MrGrumpy »

Bloody hell... I guess they might not want a BMW, but if you bought a Kymco AK550 or Sym TL508, the thieves probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one of those and a Tmax!

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Sadly they now know where you live and you like Tmax's... you either need to find a better way of securing it with defenses (legal of course) or swapping to somethign not on their shopping list. :(
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Dr Gonzo
Benefactor

Post by Dr Gonzo »

How much more security? An Almax chain and Squire lock through a ground anchor, Abus disc lock and a Hiplock on the back wheel and through the cover. It was also taken early afternoon in front of a witness who was threatened. What more can I do?
Seriously considering swapping it for a BMW C650, surely no one will want that?

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Just amazing!! Bloody hell Gonzo. What more can you do. I despair sometimes at the human nature of some of these reprobates. Think me and a few mates would be waiting for them with baseball bats! But you have to do that maybe for some while to be sure of getting them. But that's probably illegal to fight back. It would infringe there human effing rights! At least enjoy your birthday in Bruges. ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Dr Gonzo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:12 pm How much more security? An Almax chain and Squire lock through a ground anchor, Abus disc lock and a Hiplock on the back wheel and through the cover. It was also taken early afternoon in front of a witness who was threatened. What more can I do?
Seriously considering swapping it for a BMW C650, surely no one will want that?
Put an old shit bike under the cover and store the Tmax securely else where until they think you've given up, aside form hooking up something to mildly electrocute them or shoot paintballs at them I can't think of anything else to stop the fuckers.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

I really enjoyed my Tmax ownership time,but they are a favourite of the “good for nothing,shitbag scumbags”due to the tracker my stolen Tmax was retrieved within the hour,along with other stolen bikes and 3 culprits,i park in a communal car park,once i got the Tmax back on the road,new steering lock needed at an obscene price,the thieves returned,as my cover was removed but the upgraded security must of put them off,22mm Almax chain and SS80 lock and a wheel clamp.My current ride is a Forza 350,not sure how high on the list of favourites it is,but i have a tracker and Almax chain,plus another big chain as a deterrent,but as some people say,if a thief really wants your bike,he’s gonna take it,no matter what🤬

Hope it didn’t spoil your birthday too much.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

Gonzo sorry to hear that, I don't really know what else you could do to stop them, that's a real bummer. A few year ago you used to be able to buy a trip wire that triggered a blank 12 bore catridge, could replace it with a live one, might be repercussions though. Sorry I know that's not helpful but you do wonder some times. On the plus side Brugge is a brilliant idea for a birthday, my birthday is in August nice summer nights sat outside with a glass of wine or two after a nice meal. Love Brugge briliant place, the one way system is a bit of a pain if you haven't got a sat nav. Hope you enjoyed it.

Data, it's not human rights that's the problem it's the police charging you with GBH. Confrontations with baseball bats rarely end well for either party and if they are lifting a Tmax into a van they obiviously weren't wimps. :lol:

Dr Gonzo
Benefactor

Post by Dr Gonzo »

You have to laugh (otherwise you'd cry). After several calls to the recovery company, who collected the TMax after the police got to it, went unanswered I filled in the online contact form. They responded surprisingly quickly but told me they had no record of my reg number, and so couldn’t help me. This is despite the fact I know exactly where the scooter is (tracker). They gave me another number to call Kent Police's Vehicle Recovery Team. Turns out the recovery company has got the TMax registration on its system because the scooter is still in the back of the van it was stolen!
It may be the end of the week before forensics have done their thing, and I'll be able to get the scooter.
I'm trying to find the positives in this. Perhaps the disc lock will still be in place and the cover and solar charger... Let's hope so.

RichH
Current Ride: TBC

Post by RichH »

Left outside I’m guessing?