New Sym ADV scoot

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

New Sym ADV scoot

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, yet another 'Adventure scooter' - this time from Sym

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bike ... e-scooting

However, what makes this more interesting than many others is that it appears - though its difficult to be sure - to have 'bike-like' engineering with mid mounted engine and separate swing arm (and chain final drive). This would appear to be the first 400cc mid-sized maxi to have this layout AFAIK. This might make it ride and handle well on bad roads, and this one does seem rather firmer off-road focussed than many of the other adventure scoots which you'd probably be reluctant to go too far off the tarmac on!

No word on price or even whether it will be coming to the UK.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: New Sym ADV scoot

Post by StephenC »

Looks ok really. Interesting that the hp is identical to the Pug so there's direct competition now. It does look like it's more rough road focused (I wouldn't say I'd recommend any scooter was taken really off road) then any others seen so far.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, it has the off-road version of the Bosch ABS - and a sump guard! No wire wheels fortunately. No doubt they will sell some tin trunks for it to make sure it looks the part!

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Thanks. That's definitely one to keep an eye on next year. I wonder if the chain is properly enclosed.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Yes I saw this earlier from Visordown. It looks a good piece of kit. Sym make quality bikes and engines.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

roadster wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:00 am Thanks. That's definitely one to keep an eye on next year. I wonder if the chain is properly enclosed.
It is mostly enclosed, with only a couple of short lengths being visible - however, whilst I'm not a chain maintenance expert, the lack of access to it would appear to make it difficult to clean or fit a chain oiler!

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

I don't think you'll need a chain oiler but if you do there are plenty of kits that would no doubt fit. I'm quite impressed so far with the whole design. The chain cover will be easy to remove.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've never had ptw with a chain....I know they need some maintenance, but maintenance is not something I'm any good at! That's what workshops are for.... If I did buy something chain equipped, then having some sort of auto oiler would ensure it got looked after and would mean I wouldn't have to bother with it myself!

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Data wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:05 pm I don't think you'll need a chain oiler but if you do there are plenty of kits that would no doubt fit. I'm quite impressed so far with the whole design. The chain cover will be easy to remove.
Oiling or greasing the chain doesn't bother me but having grease splattered over the back of the bike is always a nuisance. I would be happier with a fully enclosed chain which would need less frequent maintenance anyway.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Be interesting to see it's weight and price. The new pug adv has 6hp more power but has another 50kg on top of the Honda. That's more than a silverwing. About the same as NC. The pug is £1700 more.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125