Renewal of licence at 70.

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
PhilD
Current Ride: 2020 Burgman 400Z

Renewal of licence at 70.

Post by PhilD »

Hi all,
I am turning 70 in January, and currently have a full licence with all the usual, including AM and A bike permissions.
My question is this.
Will my bike licence permissions automatically transfer when l renew my licence, or do l need to do anything special?
There is no definitive information on the DVLA website, as they only appear to be interested in renewing car or truck licences.
(Typically, bikers are ignored, even by the authorities).
Other websites have differing information.

Are there any older bikers out there that could advise me please?

dogwheel
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Re: Renewal of licence at 70.

Post by dogwheel »

My renewal at 70 (11 years ago!) went smoothly, I did, however take a good photocopy of my old Paper Licence which I then had countersigned and recorded by a Notary Public, just in case. I guess one could take a Macro Photograph of the details on the back of the Plastic Licence (I neither returned mine nor cut it up). It's all about doing what you can to prevent them from bu**ering you about.
Good Luck.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

I have just renewed mine online. I haven't got the new one back yet but it's currently being processed. You will lose the right to drive mini buses and some light good vehicles from 2.5t upto 7.5 tons. Apart from that your licence will be the same. It's all laid out online and I think in the form they send you. If you want to retain the capability to drive the above mini buses etc you must take a test or something like that.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

I renewed mine without any problems but I would do it on line. Don't send them your license until you have your new one in your hand. The DVLA have a exceptional talent for losing things and getting confused :twisted:
Data thanks for that I've just realised took a couple of categories off my licence without me noticing. I thought I thought I still had a 7.5 ton category.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

There where a few cases of classes being missed on renewal some years ago and if the driver didn't notice there was some severe inconvenience. Worth checking carefully when you get it. I am amazed how badly they can degrade the photo when transferring and printing it on the license. Probably no bad thing if its like mine!
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

It probably won't affect many people here but if you renew on line you lose the right to drive a minibus.
Had I stayed in Salisbury I should have been prevented from driving the minibus for the Wrinklies so would have had to renew by post.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

PhilD
Current Ride: 2020 Burgman 400Z

Post by PhilD »

Hi all,
Thanks for the info.
I’ll renew online and cross my fingers.
I’m not worried about the minibus and truck categories as l’m blind in one eye, so would never get the qualifications anyway.

Many thanks.

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Last time I renewed they negated to add my HGV 1 that I’d had for 40 years since my army days. However, I was never going to use it again so I. Never went through the appeal process. Moral is, copy your licence and keep your eyes peeled……

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

When I retired from driving I phoned DVLA and asked them to remove my HGV categories from my licence, thinking about it this may be when my 7.5 ton category disappeared. I had cataract prob!ems in both eyes and could hardly see out of my right eye.I was stupid enough to inform them of this,no problem they said thanks for telling us. Four years later after I had had both eyes fixed I phoned them up and told them. They wrote to me to inform me if I didn't provide proof they would suspend my licence, that took some sorting out :roll:

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

OTOH...when my wife did it, her new one came back with a full motorcycle licence on it. She's never taken a test, and last rode her Honda 90 in 1977...
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350