Insurance in inner London: is Lexham the only realistic option?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
YetAnotherMuppet
Current Ride: x-max

Insurance in inner London: is Lexham the only realistic option?

Post by YetAnotherMuppet »

For anyone living in inner London: is it just me or is Lexham the only realistic option to insure your bike?

If you live in inner London and don't have a garage, can you share who your insurer is and where you found it?

I use the comparison websites and a few others like wickedquotes; right now the best quote for 300-350cc scooters worth, used, worth ca. £3,500-4,000 is ca. £250 for third party only and £400-500 for third party fire and theft, but this is all with Lexham, the second best is more than a grand.

I have many years of no claim (almost 10, I'm not in my 20s), clean criminal record, no defaults no judgements no unpaid debt etc.

I specifically say inner London because I got some quotes online, and with postcodes in Biggin Hill Kingston Surrey etc it tends to be much cheaper.

I have moved around London quite a bit over the years but noticed this trend does not change much, it's always Lexham quoting realistic prices for insurance, and everyone else quoting 2-3 times as much.

I understand that the risk of theft in inner London if you keep it on the road is high, but I don't understand why I often struggle to get quotes even for just third party insurance, not theft; eg wickedquotes won't evven quote me for third party.

five50
Current Ride: xmax300

Re: Insurance in inner London: is Lexham the only realistic option?

Post by five50 »

Could be. Bennetts used to be ok but premiums have rocketed and a lot of stuff seems like they wont quote me on.
I am late 40s, licence for more than 20yrs, 5yrs NCB, garaged!! WTF

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Insurance in inner London: is Lexham the only realistic option?

Post by Data »

In my experience TPFT is often more expensive than fully comprehensive cover. Certainly for me that has always been the case over the last 25yrs. Have you searched for fully comp? You are often seen as a bigger risk with just TPFT. Obviously area might alter this.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...