T max

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Wag
Current Ride: Aprilia SR Max 30 BMW F800 G

T max

Post by Wag »

Hi all, a few years since I've been on the site.
I'm thinking about getting a new T Max.
But, as things have moved on over the years I'm not sure which one to get, and more importantly, would It be the best choice.
Commute every day anything up to 50 miles each way. 6'3" tall. Do weekends away for fun.
Currently riding a BMW 1250 GS.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
the chaos theory is alive and well!

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: T max

Post by roadster »

I commuted by scooter for a decade or more, but for nothing even close to 100 miles a day. Perhaps some T-Max owners would give some idea of rear tyre life. There would probably be fuel stops every two days and tyre replacement every 3 months. Unlike with car or conventional bikes scooters tend to need much more spanner work to change a tyre too. It would certainly be admirable if you can do it.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Dr Gonzo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Dr Gonzo »

Former TMax owner here. I'd be buying another one but having had two 560s stolen three times in 12 months I just can't face the potential hassle of buying another only for it to go walk about.

If they weren't so stealable I'd definitely buy another; huge fun just as much fun as a mid-sized motorbike just a lot more practical. If you're going to be doing big motorway miles the cruise control is a godsend. It's one of those things you think must be a gimmick until you start using it and then you wonder how you managed without it.

I can't comment on the longevity of tyres, consumables etc, for obvious reasons. However, happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Drew
Current Ride: Tmax500

Post by Drew »

Hi

I’ve had 3 tmax’s, two 500’s and a 530. Used for daily commute about 65 miles a day. Rear tyres about 6k miles and fronts about 3-4k miles and I use the bike hard. Yes that’s correct I wear fronts more than rear ( I’m an ex racer so use the front hard). Front wheel off is exactly the same as any bike, rear on the older t max is a couple of mins to remove, 530 with belt, again exactly the same as any bike. Oil changes about 20 mins work. Variator belt about an hour every 12k and very simple. I’ve done about 50k miles on them and never had a single problem, they keep you dry, handle well and easily run rings round proper bikes in the roundabout gp! My commute changed so I jumped ship to a Forza 750, much better front end (17” wheel) and more grunt but in stop start / slow traffic the gearbox is shite. My commute is fast lanes and dual carriageway with loads of roundabouts so the box is fine but if I was in slow traffic again give me the t max variator any day.

The forza is smaller than the t max but that suits me as I’m a short arse at 5’4”, the t max has more leg room for someone tall. I’d try and test both if I were you but depending on what type of commute you have the DCT box might annoy in traffic.

Hope this helps.

Wag

Post by Wag »

Thanks for that feedback guys.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Thing is.....the Tmax does everything well (apart from going off road!). Its fast, its fun in the twisties, it tours, it traffic busts - and it puts a smile on your face all the time!
However, running costs are rather bike like rather than little scooter like....tyres are £100 each - I get around 4500 miles from a set, yes on newer Tmaxs the front wears a little before the rear! If you are doing lots of miles, its not the servicing itself thats the issue, its the consumables - brake pads, V-belts, tyres - it all adds up. But its more or less the same for any bike

Wag

Post by Wag »

Cheers Mr G,
I'm hoping the costs will be less than my GS.

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

BMW —-Bring More Wallet 😬😬🎂

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

newscooter wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:38 am BMW —-Bring More Wallet 😬😬🎂
Beat me to it! BMW do seem to charge extraordinary prices for services, with quotes of £1000s for a major service for the C650 scoots. There again, Yamaha spare parts prices are pretty appalling (though spare parts supply is fast and reliable even for old models). I guess you need to find a non-main dealer mechanic with reasonable rates (I'm told that similarly there are unofficial BMW servicing people who make running BMWs affordable for non-millionaires). On the up side, there are many aftermarket alternative parts available for the Tmax, especially from Italy where they've sold Hundreds of thousands of the things!

But...as I said, don't buy a Tmax thinking it will be especially cheap to run - its basically a bike disguised as a scooter, and it has bike like engineering with bike like running costs.

Wag

Post by Wag »

👍