Returning to the fold? (Maybe) Honda 350i range?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Re: Returning to the fold? (Maybe) Honda 350i range?

Post by Data »

MrGrumpy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:24 am
defscoot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:43 pm I'm in a similar situation to you Bingo. I have had bikes for a few years now but starting to want to go back to a scooter. I also live in the Yorkshire Dales and that is where I spend most of my time on two wheels.

I had a Burgman 650 once and the suspension was not good on the bumpy roads we have here. I also had a Vespa 300 GTS which was surprisingly plush. You would expect the little wheels to be a problem but they weren't.
Yeah....ditto! The big Burger was hopeless on bad roads! No-one believes you though! Which is why I swapped mine for another Tmax which does handle rougher roads well. I have had problems with some 'swinging engine' style scoots in the sticks. I'm led to believe that the ADV350's high quality suspension will work well, though you never really know until you try it. There are many other Adventure-style scoots around which may or may not do the same job.
I concur Grumpy. The 650's are a bit harsh over the bumps. I used to have mine very loaded up with tools, equipment & my personal luggage & used to cruise at 70-80 on continental roads. So it felt ok even though I had the suspension cranked right up for better high speed handling. The Burgman 400 was much better in that respect in virtually all situations I found. Aside from feeling the odd extra bump in the road the GTS is even better but with the smaller wheels you really wouldn't expect it. Dunno how Piaggio have managed that.

I believe the ADV350 is a super bike with it's proper MC front forks & seriously good but firm suspension. I've yet to take one any distance but Mottza is mightily impressed I believe with his.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Data wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:20 am

I concur Grumpy. The 650's are a bit harsh over the bumps. I used to have mine very loaded up with tools, equipment & my personal luggage & used to cruise at 70-80 on continental roads. So it felt ok even though I had the suspension cranked right up for better high speed handling. The Burgman 400 was much better in that respect in virtually all situations I found. Aside from feeling the odd extra bump in the road the GTS is even better but with the smaller wheels you really wouldn't expect it. Dunno how Piaggio have managed that.

I believe the ADV350 is a super bike with it's proper MC front forks & seriously good but firm suspension. I've yet to take one any distance but Mottza is mightily impressed I believe with his.
It wasn't that the B650 was harsh, but it just felt to uncontrolled somehow. If you took it over some cobbles, the whole thing bounced up and down so badly you felt that something would fall off! Going down a country lane felt like trying to fit the QE2 through a canal - it was so cumbersome and awkward. Meanwhile on the same roads the Tmax just encouraged you to dive for the next apex!

I was thinking back to some of my previous scoots and my first over 125 scoot was an Apriliia Leonardo 250. I seem to remember that having superb ride and handling and I never seemed to have any difficulties with that doing anything! I'm not sure if that was because it was good, or because I was an inexperienced rider who didn't know any better! It certainly had better suspension than my previous Piaggio Skipper!

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

I have to admit when I first took the an650 down a single track lane I wasn't happy with it at all, as a lot of my riding is on single track i was wondering if I had made a mistake. Now two years later it's not a problem, last monday I took along about 15 mles of single track, 10 mile of which was very mucky in places with water runing across and all sorts of muck in the middle. As biased as I am Ihave to admit the thing dosen't like potholes and there were a few.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Leonardo used to shake every bolt loose. Great bikes though. I had a blue 2002 one.

150kg was super light with dinky 12 inch wheels.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

Data wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:20 am Aside from feeling the odd extra bump in the road the GTS is even better but with the smaller wheels you really wouldn't expect it. Dunno how Piaggio have managed that.
I was stunned at how good the GTS was on bumpy roads. The day after I rode it home, I was determined to test it and I took it on a really bad road I know near me. I got to the end of the road and was just smiling! All I could think was, how have they done that? It's a plush ride with 12" wheels.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

MCN said the GTS had the best handling of all the midrange scooters just a couple of years ago. I see where they are coming from!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Post by Bingo »

Thanks again. Still undecided. As said I think ill go and try an SH at least in the Spring at some point. I think from what I have read the SH might be the one for me. I might hate it of course and I have kind of fallen back in love with the Vstrom again. Well that was until I had to clean it again yesterday. A real PIA.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

All I shall say about the SH350s is that blew me away with their supreme smoothness and lack of any vibration through any contact points.
One is more lively than the other, one is more protective, element-wise.
But beautiful motors, both and quick enough for getaways and faster roads - is my takeaway.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Bingo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:29 pm Thanks again. Still undecided. As said I think ill go and try an SH at least in the Spring at some point. I think from what I have read the SH might be the one for me. I might hate it of course and I have kind of fallen back in love with the Vstrom again. Well that was until I had to clean it again yesterday. A real PIA.
Horobags is currently selling a tidy SH300, if that's not going to muddy the waters too much as regards your plans. ;)

He hasn't been on MM since last year but if interested, I can get a message to him.