Returning to the fold? (Maybe) Honda 350i range?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Returning to the fold? (Maybe) Honda 350i range?

Post by Bingo »

Hi Folks

Some of you may remember me. I sold my BV350 almost exactly a year ago and ended up with a Vstrom 650 XT. I still of course had my little Honda Vision 110 which we use with the motorhome.

Long story short. As we spent most of last summer touring with the van and the little Honda Vision Ive not got to use the Vstrom much. About 1500 miles on it in a year. Just put it back on the road but my Arthritis in my knees and now my hands has got much worse over winter and Im finding the Vstrom a bit too much now. Its a shame as its a great bike but what I dont like about it is its too heavy for me now, my wrists and hands are suffering with it not being an auto and as its only every getting used for short 1 - 2 hour trips around the North Yorkshire Dales and maybe the odd trip over to the Lakes Im wondering if I should go back to a Scooter. The Vstrom is an absolute pig to keep clean as well and it has spoked wheels and I simply cant keep on top of it.

I want something ultra reliable, easy to maintain and clean that will still put a smile on my face but also as light as possible so I can shove it around.

Im thinking the Honda 350i range. Which one though? ADV, Forza or SH?

It will mainly be used just for fun rides in the hills and dales. Ive seen them all in the flesh but not ridden any. The SH appeals as its the same shape as the Vision we have which I love and a step through but with it being a lot faster I would need some kind of screen I think but the big Honda see through screen looks awful. I wasnt so keen on the looks of either the Forza or the ADV but they would grow on me but are they not also a bit heavier?

is there a massive difference in the power from the older Honda 300 range to the new 350 range as obviously the older ones are a lot cheaper?

Thoughts please?

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Returning to the fold? (Maybe) Honda 350i range?

Post by StephenC »

The new 350s are close to the Yamaha 300 and Kymco X360 in power whereas the Honda 300 is around 4hp down.

I went from a Xmax 300 to Forza 300 and now to the X360 and you do notice the Honda is down a bit on power - the others feel much more relaxed on dual carriageways and motorway. Mind you, that electric windscreen on the Forza really makes a difference at motorway speeds.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Of those, I've only owned the old SH300, which I grew to hate, despite the mega engine! I found it very cramped windswept and uncomfortable. The newer 350 engines are I think broadly similar to the 300s, but meet emissions regs, so are usually a little less powerful than the 300s. I'm often tempted by the ADV350 as its has higher quality suspension which might make it better on bumpy out of town rides, like where you live. There again, you seemed quite happy with the Bev350 which I found a right handful in the sticks, especially in the wet! The SH is more of an upright riding position, which the Forza/ADV are more feet forward. The latter two also have a lot more underseat space than the SH, though the SH is a lot roomier than it used to be.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

I'm pretty sure the newer Honda 350 motors are more powerful than the older generation of 300cc units Grumpy. Mottza's new ADV350 is mighty good. He had the 300cc Forza previously & I think that was 26hp against 29hp for the new 350 engine. The SH is the same I believe.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

The figures do seem to vary - my old SH300 had 27bhp if I remember correctly - went like a rocket! I seem to recall reading that newer versions had for a time gone down to 25bhp, whilst the current Forza 350 has a claimed 21.4kw (28bhp approx). Of course, the Bev350 ST had 33 at least, so that was even quicker - the Bev seemed to accelerate very quickly - as fast as a Tmax - but the SH was utterly mad on the dual carriageway, intimidating bikers to pull out of the outside lane to let you past!

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yes Grumpy. The figures for the older engine dropped when it went to euro 5. But the new engine is 28.8hp, 29ps. Got some extra torque too! Certainly goes better than the previous model. I've been toying with the idea of chopping the GTS300 in for the ADV350. At the moment I just can't stand the thought of parting with the GTS. I've had her for over 7yrs now & it goes so well. 8-)

PS. Nice to see you back Bingo!

scootabout
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by scootabout »

I have an SH300 and a Forza 350. I previously had the Bev 350. I think the first question to you is 'how much luggage space do you need/want?'. If you're happy with just a topbox (plus a small-ish space under the seat, then I think an SH300 would be suitable. The first generation are very nippy and cheap to run. I have a Givi screen, cut down to a level that I can either see over, or slump for weather protection. In summer, I swap this for a Givi Vario screen and can adjust this manually as I please. I also have slight problems with my hands and find the SH feels nice and light. I'm on my third SH and they are happy to do high mileages.

The Forza feels much more a handful, especially two-up. The engine mapping probably suits many people, but it doesn't have that urge at higher speeds that the old SH has, so I end up going slower (not necessarily a bad thing!). The Forza is more refined than the Bev - smoother, less clunky bars/brakes - but I still don't love it after 15K. It's efficient transport with great luggage space, but I would chop it in if something better came along (an SH350 with large panniers??).

Like all bikes though, it's personal taste, so maybe test ride all three?

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Actually, there is something I didn't like about the Forza - the handlebar controls on the left aren't intuitive and even after 3 years I just never got used to where the indicator was.

Perhaps the ADV or SH are better?
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Post by Bingo »

Thanks for the replies. Im still undecided. I had two rides out on the Vstrom on Sunday. The first I was thinking get rid but I kind of recovered a bit of my mojo on the second. I think its only a matter of time though. I reckon all I can do is get down to Padgetts or anywhere that has all three as a demo (that could be tricky to find) and try them. Watched plenty of videos. I like the SH being a step through like my vision but Im not so keen on the lack of weather protection (screen) and that big Honda Screen looks dreadful. The screen on the Forza looks amazing thought but its bigger and heavier. Same goes for the ADV I guess.

I wonder if there is a smaller screen for the SH. Im going to guess that the SH will be a tad quicker than the other two being lighter and maybe easier to chuck about?

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Although the engines are the same, on the SH, Forza & ADV, the ECU's have different software as I understand it. This means the speeds, acceleration & economy may be quite different. This software difference is due to differing weights of the bikes & slightly different uses anticipated for each model.