Tmax or not?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
John A
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Tmax or not?

Post by John A »

Had my ADV 350 for a year now, and it's a cracking little bike that's taken me on many happy miles, but, I keep on looking at, and had a sit on a Tmax at the Scottish bike show.

On almost any measurable criteria, the Tmax isn't "sensible", at over twice the price and logic says can't be twice as good. Logic and bike buying :roll: :roll:

It has cruise control, which I really do like the idea of in this land of average speed cameras, and having at least one days ride top a ferry port. It has a proper hand brake, so much easier to use than the alternatives. Has plenty of power when a few time on the 350 I think that "if only it had 5 or 10hp more", especially up hill and into a headwind.

On the don't change, I fancy going to Morocco, and on a "cheaper" bike wouldn't be as upset going on some of their less well built roads, but saying that, some of the UK's "roads" a probably put to shame by theirs. Cost to change is going to be around £10k to get a new one, but I can afford it. though that £10k would buy a lot of holidays / tyres etc.

So has anybody else done the jump either way, and why? Or anyone else with helpful hints / advice / logic?

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Tmax or not?

Post by capitano »

You've pretty much covered it. 8-)

Enjoy whatever decision you make.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Since when has buying a bike been a sensible decision!! 😁

My only contribution is, keep the ADV and buy a lightly used TMax to save £££s. Also I hope you're in a cheap insurance area, at least find out insurance cost before final decision.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

If only I'd ridden an ADV350 rather than toyed with the idea of one, I could advise you better!
Obviously in any rational sense, buying a Tmax compared to an ADV is a silly decision, but as Poldark says, when was buying a bike about being sensible???? I've toyed with trading in one of my Tmaxs for an ADV as Tmaxs are a bit OTT for my needs these days - I'm doing shorter journeys these days, and the ADV can probably handle almost everything, including long distance tours (and might be better off road than the TMax!!!).
BUT....
The Tmax is just so good to ride, you get addicted to it! I've had 8 of the things and have two of them at the moment! My mk6 was somewhat unreliable in its early days and I told myself I'd junk it for a Forza 750, but I just couldn't do it! Fortunately the mk6 has settled down reliability wise. Once you've had one, you probably won't be able to go back!

Putting on my sensible hat, you should realise that Tmax running costs will probably be significantly higher than for the ADV - service intervals are shorter, and probably more expensive, Yamaha spares prices are stupid (V-belt at £180), tyres cost at least £100 each (without fitting) and don't last especially long, insurance will probably be more expensive and they can be theft magnets in some areas (eg London war zone).
But we tend to buy with our hearts rather than heads.....

John A

Post by John A »

Luckily I'm living in the North-East of Scotland, if I was living in London then the insurance costs would be into the stupid region I know.

Downside of being in the NE of Scotland is there's no dealers between the Central belt and Inverness so over 2 hours to a dealers. But, I think one at least does delivery and pick up by van, which helps getting a service done in our normal winter months without getting the bike covered in slat etc.

The idea of getting on a couple of years old does sound like a route I should think about, but, can you have too many bikes? Or, is the number needed n+1 where n is the number you already own!

Andym
Current Ride: Forza 350 and SuperCub

Post by Andym »

The roads in Morocco are way better maintained than here. You have to look for off-road now and it's getting harder to find.

I think you have it covered in your post. The price is the huge killer for me. Trade one in a few years and the kicking you take is massive.

Andy

Dr Gonzo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Dr Gonzo »

Just buy one, you won't regret it.

I'd have another if it wasn't for the fact I'm paranoid about one getting stolen again.

Seriously good fun to ride, as quick as you'll ever need and the cruise control is something you'll find yourself wondering how you managed without it before. Oh and for me at just shy of six-foot-tall the screen worked wonderfully.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Thinking further from my post, the USP of the Tmax is its bike-like chassis - it handles amazingly and handles bad (ie most minor UK ) roads remarkably well. I do a lot travelling on the back roads in rural areas, and I've had troubles with smaller 'swinging engine' design scoots, which are great in town and even on main roads, but which are nightmares on the bumps. The reason I've toyed with buying an ADV350 is that it's suspension is much higher quality than a normal mid sized scoot, and can probably do the same job as a Tmax - but I haven't ridden one to be sure. Either way if you much riding on sub-prime quality roads, the Tmax does handle them well, and its the chassis and suspension of the Tmax that set it apart from almost all other Maxis.

Another random thought....there are always the Tmax clones available (Kymco AK550, Sym TL508) which are extremely similar but much cheaper (especially the Sym). The only real snag is the quality of support from the importers and long term availability of parts from official sources. Whilst Yamaha parts are insanely expensive, if you want an obscure part for a 20 year old Tmax, you can normally get it pretty pronto!

John A

Post by John A »

Thanks for all the suggestions / thoughts, it's helpful getting a different perspective.

I had a look at some of the Tmax clones at the NEC show, and yes they're cheaper, but the feel of the switches etc felt much cheaper, so that getting a second-hand Txax would give a better feeling. Not that they were bad, but the Tmax also seemed to my eyes, a "nicer" design. And so it should as it's been around a few years!

I have the adaptive cruise control in my car, and as long as you understand it's limitations, it does make journeys for me to be so much more relaxed as you have it as a "friend" there being of help. Not sure I'd go the whole hog and have a car without a steering wheel etc. Not so sure that the adaptive version is a good thing for on a bike, but the basic one is a real positive for me.

John A

Post by John A »

Had a look at a comparison site for motorbike insurance and first off I thought that the Tmax insurance quotes were expensive, but then remembered my 350 in quiet Aberdeen came out at only £150 cheaper. Which for a more than double the price of the bike, just shows that the risk for the insurance company is probably more for third party claims, than the owners claim. Some of the quotes had a non-voluntary excess of £1250, while others had £200, so does pay to shop around.

One query, I've seen the on-line owners manual with the service schedule, and does anyone know how often does an oil change come up with a typical usage of weekend etc rides, ie no commuting?