Tmax or not?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Tmax or not?

Post by MrGrumpy »

I don't know if the service schedule has changed recently, or whether there is now some sort of clever monitoring thingy in the electronics that decides when the oil needs changing, but previously the service schedule says you should change the oil every 3000 miles (filter change every 6000 mile service). Commuting does tend to rack up the miles, so if you aren't doing that, then it may take a while for 3000 miles to come round!

Andym
Current Ride: Forza 350 and SuperCub

Post by Andym »

The "clever monitoring thingy" (if fitted) is a look up chart type logic of RPM, temperature and time. For want of a better description, predictative maintenance. Works on big Diesels, never met it on small petrols. It's a cost saving for the manufacturer when they don't have to publish different information for different markets.

That said there is always a commercial element such as when Harley launched a 6000 interval Sportster which caused Triumph to send me a new book with Bonneville changes increased from 4000 to 6000.

Andy

John A
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Post by John A »

Andym wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:00 pm That said there is always a commercial element such as when Harley launched a 6000 interval Sportster which caused Triumph to send me a new book with Bonneville changes increased from 4000 to 6000.
I was between V-Stroms where the service interval jumped from every 3500 miles to 6000. Made life a lot easier as a European tour for me was often 3000 miles, so needed a service just before I went, and straight afterwards.

Capelli32
Current Ride: Honda X-Adv 750

Post by Capelli32 »

What about a 750 X ADV? Cheaper to buy and cheaper to run than a T-Max.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Capelli32 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:16 pm What about a 750 X ADV? Cheaper to buy and cheaper to run than a T-Max.
Well, its the sensible choice, but it depends if you can stand the slogging vibey engine and if you get the DCT or not. I don't - the Tmax is just more fun! After my reliiability issues with my mk6 Tmax, I promised myself that I'd get rid of it and buy a Forza 750 instead, but I can never do it!

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

X ADV 750 - plusses from my experience of owning one - effortless torque + power ( for a scooter that is!), great acceleration, superb suspension very compliant on our terrible roads ( big wheels), the best suspension on any scooter I've owned, good handling, comfortable, economical 70 - 80+ mpg, decent wind protection, long service intervals, very reliable, sounds good, and looks good - to me it did anyway.

Negatives. Very heavy to move about and get out of my garage and down my drive past a parked car, very tall - even for me at 6'3". Putting my foot down on any thing other than a flat level solid surface, any stones, gravel, grit or anything, could have my foot sliding from under me. Quite unnerving. Had a few worrying moments but didn't drop it. I did not entirely like the DCT. It was generally OK, but could be clunky when it changed from 2nd to 1st, at slow speeds in traffic, and on tight turns in urban areas. I much prefer a smoother CVT, such as on the T Max, however I found the X ADV better in most aspects than a T Max I test rode. Better engine power, better suspension and comfort, less wind buffeting at higher speed, higher seat, bigger and more comfortable for a tall rider, less expensive to maintain. The only things I preferred on the T max were smoother transmission, more underseat storage, and not as awkward to move around.
John A - how do you like the suspension on your ADV 350 - what is it like on rough roads? I don't mean off road just bad roads in general.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

The ADV350 has good suspension. It's firm but handles and damps bad road surfaces well. Unlike the cub.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

John A
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Post by John A »

There's plenty of non perfect roads up here, and I don't think it's as good as a decent motorcycles, but then it doesn't have the range of travel of the bikes I've owned recently eg the 650 V-Strom. I have read in reviews that the testers seem to prefer it to the Forza's set-up, but I haven't ridden one.

I got the 350 ADV and am looking at the Tmax is due to my finding getting my leg over a seat more and more problematic, the X-ADV hasn't much of a drop between the seat and the tunnel, so I'd think it would be as problematic as a "real" bike.