ADV350 Suspension Issues

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Scottyboy74
Current Ride: Honda ADV350

ADV350 Suspension Issues

Post by Scottyboy74 »

Hi all.

My first post on here with bad news. I purchased an ADV350 in November 2023 which was ex demo from main dealer with 500 miles on the clock and first service complete.

However on the first day the Showa fork leaked suspension fluid which contaminated my rotor and disk. The bike was collected by Kent motorcycles and returned the next day all fixed with new brake parts.

In April 2024 after 7000miles of use (commuting to London) the rear Showa suspension completely failed and was like riding a tray on a rocky ski slope!! The main dealer was a bit of hard work getting this solved swiftly and it took a lot of pestering.

Now 3 weeks after they changed both rear shocks the right rear shock is severely leaking and has contaminated the rear rotor etc and dripped on the tyre. The main dealer told me to bring it in which I’m not happy to ride and have asked them to collect it for safety. I hope they resolve this quickly as I’ve had significant downtime and they only offered me a bloody CB125 before which I refused as I have to travel on motorways.

I just want to warn other prospective buyers of these issues. I’m guessing Showa have an issue with their seals! Has anybody else been plagued with these suspension troubles?

Scott

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Re: ADV350 Suspension Issues

Post by mottza »

Mines done 2500 miles and had no issues and not seen it come up on the Facebook groups.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

John A
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Post by John A »

Almost 6000 miles on mine, and so far so good.

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

I think a lot of riders rely on the seal to wipe away any crap, when it’s sorted i would regularly get some rag between the springs and clean the rod up, forks as well. Granted at the end of a ride one is not always in the mood to do this, you just want to park up. If this was in the car world it wouldnt be tolerated, there has to be a quality issue, but any bike could replicate this.Winter commuting produces a grinding paste effect, coupled with the shock constantly moving over its travel. I would pay the extra to have shrouded shocks fitted. Not what you want to hear about a bike under warranty i know. I have some history with this shop, but i have a bit of a beef with Honda, which am not going to go into now. I will say i spoke to an off road experienced rider last year, who test rode what was possibly your bike, and he admitted that he put it through its paces off road. To me thats abuse. Are you from the Canterbury area? Would happily meet and give you more advice, would be easier than my one fingered typing. Am retired so timing is no problem.

Mister Paul
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by Mister Paul »

There was an issue with the rear shocks leaking on early ADV350s.

fullcirclemax
Current Ride: Integra

Post by fullcirclemax »

Trouble is with that mileage in so short a space of time over winter, surely with lorry spray, containing grit and sometimes salt, anything is going to have a hard time. No doubt the brakes are having a hard time of it also, so on projected mileage without money and time spent, the bike will have little value come the time of its first mot. Not too many bikes around now with fork gaiters and enclosed chain and possibly drum brakes. Enter the humble mz250 , just feed it oil and petrol and a few tyres.