For members who own little scooters.
Maxman
Benefactor
Current Ride: XJ6s Diversion + X-Max 250 ABS

Honda PCX

Post by Maxman »

A question for all you PCX owners.

Wifey was going to get herself a geared bike. icon_power-ranger.gif

Nows she's thinking of sticking to scoots (Hoorah!), possibly a PCX.

Any opinions please, good or bad, comfort, speed etc.

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Re: Honda PCX

Post by richie the 1st »

Well i have ridden one very nice but at "6-3" tall its too small in size for me.Just turn off the stop-start button,makes the battery flat.
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

rich666
Current Ride: PCX 125

Post by rich666 »

Got mine just over a month ago.

Had one small problem with it the battery went flat (posted in the garage section)..but the dealer reckons it was a duff battery and fitted a new one straight away. Honda dealers are usually good with these little things and it hasn't put me off.

Apart from that I like it.

I actually enjoy the commute to and from work and vary my routes home to get more time on it.

If your under 5'10" you'll probably like it, but if you're taller the lumbar support will be annoying. It's responsive, and revs cleanly to 55mph without a hitch, let it run and it will get to over 60mph if the roads flat enough. Fuel consumption is pretty much what Honda are claiming after it's run in.

The only thing that Honda should have done differently from the start are tyres, they fitted IRC tyres and they are not the best tyre for the wet.

Maxman
Benefactor
Current Ride: XJ6s Diversion + X-Max 250 ABS

Post by Maxman »

Thanks chaps.

Wife is 5' not a lot", so it should suit.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

I've never had a scooter before and I traded in a Triumph 900 to get mine.
No regrets and I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending it if your wife already has a full bike licence.
If she doesn't then AFAIK it falls in the wrong category to be any use for sitting a test on so she would have to rent a school bike.
Same applies if she wanted a geared licence, so maybe the licence thing is a red herring.?

I find the fitted tyres are fine, the only slides I've had were due to cow muck or gravel.
The handling and stability cannot be faulted imo.
It feels very smooth and refined in use, is very well put together, is stylish, modern looking and has an air of quality about it.
The seat hump will be OK for your wife at 5 feet, I'm six feet and it doesn't bother me.

Apart from a recall on some of the early ones for battery overflow rotting the fuel lines and one poor chap having a duff battery in his, there are no bad reports that I have heard of.

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Two guys at work have them, ones a 10 reg the other a 60 reg. Both have had no mechanical issues and are getting over 100mpg but..... both PCXs have a lot of corrosion on the rear hub and also the bracketry and fasteners all around the engine area are now looking very rusty. They dont seem bothered by it, but I guess thats how Honda manage to sell them for a good price?
Im 6 foot 2" and found it a very comfy ride but a little wobbly in the twisties, and yes the seat hump was an issue but otherwise an excellent ride.

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

As above, but I have rubbed ACF50 over the hub area and anything else that could get corroded, except the disc. I find the handling excellent on the standard tyres. I've removed the backrest for a bit more room. It's a great scoot for a 125 and excellent value.

icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

Bornscottish

Post by Bornscottish »

I'm pretty happy with mine, the only issue i've had was after the first service the engine started making an unhealthy screeching sound whenever i pulled away from a standing start....I put up with it for 2 weeks then arranged the garage to take a look at it....naturally it stopped making the noise on the way to the garage and made me look a right dafty... If it gets worse i was told it was covered under warranty tho and yes its still making the noise off and on. :?
Other than that highly recommended !

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Sounds like your clutch if its squealing, try pulling away a bit sharpish to see if that helps.

Diesel Dave
Current Ride: ADV350

Post by Diesel Dave »

I've had my PCX for a little over 6 months and about 6.5k miles.

Brilliant little scoot, it needs a bigger screen than STD otherwise you get soaked, i got the Honda handlebar mounted one which gives a lot of protection but if your under 6 feet tall then you will be looking through it rather than over it unless you cut it down.

Needs better wet weather tyres, but the IRC's seem to be long lasting.

I get about 115 to the gallon (UK).

It's very stable as it has a long wheelbase and very good in the twisties (for me anyway).

Theres bugger all maintenance to do apart from swapping the oil regularly and as the oil does not touch the clutch you can use cheaper car type 10w40 oil.

Te rear brake will squeak, but you get used to it.

In common with all rubber band drive types, the clutch shoes can get contaminated with rubber dust, this seems to happen more if your gentle with the throttle so I've not had a problem.