XMax 300 headlight

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
RobiXmax
Current Ride: Yamaha XMax 300

XMax 300 headlight

Post by RobiXmax »

Hello all
First post for me. Owner of a 2018 XMax 300 since May having returned to biking after a 10 year break and a history of big sports tourers. Generally all really good, impressed so far and great to be back on to wheels. Only a couple of issues. I've caught up with a few of the posts and know this has been mentioned elsewhere but only had my first experience of the headlilght on the homeward commute this week, which takes in unlit b-roads. And boy oh boy it was non-existent! Genuinely concerned its going to be a real problem as I'm planning to commute through the winter but the beam is hopeless on unlit roads. Anyone had simialr experience or even better, know of a fix? Hven't spoken to local dealer yet.

Also coming from bigger bikes, still getting used to the front end which feels a bit vague. Felt a bit of a slide this week on a r'bout even at slow speed. Nothing to worry about I hope...

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Re: XMax 300 headlight

Post by kishan »

welcome, i believe the headlight is a built in LED headlight unit so i do not think it can be improved as its a sealed unit i believe. if it is not then you might be able to fit HID kit and as you have a projector style headight the HID should be legal to use in the projector lamp .
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I think someone has fitted auxiliary lights.

It's the only way, I think
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

Agreed - it's hopeless; the worst I've ever experienced. I'm heartily glad I don't HAVE to ride in the dark any more.
It has to be wondered if Yamaha ever tested the bike at night...
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I had mine set higher, set on a beam setter and it still does not upset other drivers in fact I still think it is set low
but I can now ride our unlit roads at up to 60 mph, strange stuff LED light how can something so bright not have
a decent beam, A mate as them on a BMW and thinks they are the dogs but the X-max ones are a different design
were the led is in the top and is reflected by the lenses through about 90% maybe more are like this on Yamaha have
tried to reinvent the led light and failed.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

RobiXmax
Current Ride: Yamaha XMax 300

Post by RobiXmax »

Thanks for the replies all. More thougths on the otherwise excellent X-Max to follow but I'm defintely doing to speak to the dealer about the headlight and might even write to Yamaha Motor Europe for thier response. Without an improvement I can't really safely commute through the winter.

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The dealers service manager said they had written on the service sheet "Head light adjusted higher on request of customer"
weather this will ever get as far as Yamaha I don't know.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

My dealer said it wasn't possible to adjust it...any idea how they did it?
Nothing wrong with LED lights on the Honda Forza!
But overall, I still think the X-Max is excellent...a different animal now it's run in. And the handling SO much better with the 'bars in the forward position.
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I think there is a adjustment on the back of the light unite like most others,
i seem to remember feeling it from under the front of the scoot a small about 8mm bolt in one of those
strange sharp washers, back of the light unite in the middle about 2/3 the way down I think but will
have another look, I agree on the scooter being excellent though best I have ever ridden.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Deleted User 7142

Post by Deleted User 7142 »

Hi guys found this on Ebay it should help to see where the adjustment is you are talking about.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-X-MAX ... :rk:1:pf:0