My an 650 k3. 2003. Refuses to shift out of 1st gear

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
carlamsmith2002
Current Ride: burgman an 650 k3 2003

My an 650 k3. 2003. Refuses to shift out of 1st gear

Post by carlamsmith2002 »

Hi, anybody have any helpful ideas?
Each morning for the first 5 minutes my Burgman will not shift out of first gear. Sometimes it will not change from drive to manual also during this time the drive just flashes on the instrument panel when selected.
After approx 5 minutes of riding in first gear, the Burgman is all ok and will remain ok during the day, even after starting and stopping. The problems begins again the next morning.
The centre stand switch can be ruled out as i have dis-connected this and the bike will shift through the gears both on automatic and manual even on its centre stand only after its first 5 minutes of starting.
I have flushed out the gear box and replaced recommended motorcycle oil semi synthetic of 10W 40, same as the recommended engine oil. The problem remains the same. I have also again changed the gear box oil with a thinner fully synthetic gear box oil hoping it will assist with the flow around the gear box as it may have been sludged up? Still the same problem.
:shock:

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Re: My an 650 k3. 2003. Refuses to shift out of 1st gear

Post by poldark »

Only repeated response on 1st gear stuck is centre stand switch, are you sure your bypass is fully effective?

https://www.burgmanusa.com/threads/stuc ... ear.32857/
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

I have never worked on a 650 so these are just thoughts,
If you turn on the ignition and leave for 5 min will the bike then run through the gears or will it need another 5 min of running?
if it goes straight through the gears it sort of rules out cold oil and points to something electric.
Does the temp gauge work as normal?
See if all connections you can find are clean and tight maybe a spray with switch cleaner.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

The variator is moved by an electric motor controlled by ECU not like conventional variator governed by the roller weights .Theres no gears or gearbox as such manual mode is just presets on variator .

carlamsmith2002

Thanks for the replies and the burgman link.
For anyone interested the burgman 650 is quite different from the 400. The 400 will have a variator system working on rollers or more modern of today, pins within side the cvt unit as a dry driving transmission system.
On the 650 you can change from automatic to manual riding via a button on the handlebars. It has its own cvt casement and cvt motor and both are on the right hand side of the burgman. The cvt casing holds a primary pulley and a secondary pulley which drives the belt and is quite different in operating parts to that of the 400. Each pulley has its own sensor to detect that its operating correctly, the sensor sends a signal to the ecm and then to the cvt control unit, saying all is ok then it sends the message to the cvt motor to do its job and change gear after reaching a speed of 20kph. What two computer control units!. The cvt casement is dry and cooled by a rotating aluminium fan attached to the secondary pulley.
The bike then has a separate manual gearbox casement lubricated and cooled with 10w 40 motor oil.
The burgman then has its own final drive casement containing drive cogs or a shaft, to drive the rear wheel, this is also in a casement lubricated with gear oil.
Any repairs need all the plastic removing from the scooter, then the engine needs to be removed from the scooter, and then the cvt removed from the engine and split open to be checked and repaired. A number of special tools also needed. Does anyone think this is sounding like a cheap and quick repair?.
The good news. I jumped the burgman into dealer mode having seen the F1 lit while it was happily revving away on its centre stand. Error code is C54, indicating the cvt secondary pulley revolution sensor or its wiring/coupler connection may be defective. Any one like to comment if I'am going to be lucky and just have to change the sensor and is only held in by one bolt?.
By the way fitted a used centre stand switch yesterday, brought of eBay and from Germany. problem remains.
Will keep you informed. ;)

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

What state is the stopper bolt in? Always worth a look, it would not be causing your trouble but has been known to wear. Don't start it up with the bolt out.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

carlamsmith2002

Yes thank you,
I have actually added the new improved stopper bolt for its extra strength and low cost of approximately five pounds to my order along with the secondary cvt sensor.
I have heard the bolt may even quieten the burgman a little.

poldark

Post by poldark »

Sorry can't see any impact on running volume, just a preventive measure, see how "chipped away" the current one looks.

B650s are prone to excessive engine braking, some people enjoy this others find it a hindrance. If you're not happy with yours then often adjusting the TPS sensor can fix it, has for me on two machines.

Fiddly to do but not difficult and only needs maintenance hatch removing. The TPS readout was displayed when you used dealer mode and found the FI code error.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

carlamsmith2002

Happy days,
Just an update to my burgman 650.
Today was the first day out of the garage having completed the repair and taken it out on a test ride, since the problem one month ago and all is seeming ok.
The error code C54, was surprisingly the actual problem with the bike, "Secondary pulley revolution sensor" positioned under the C V T unit, which was defective and not instructing the bikes computer to change out of first gear. It was obviously not my day, as the common problem for this is a sticking centre stand switch, remedied with a quick spray of WD 40.
Jobs involved included,
Taking all plastic off the bike. Not a nice sight!.
Dropping the rear suspension and brake calliper.
Removing the frame from the engine.
Separating the CVT from the engine.
Replacing the sensor, £79.00. 5 litre of 10w 40 seme synthetic bike oil for the engine and gear box £29, including oil filter. Red antifreeze for the cooling system £8.
The positive side, I managed to complete all the small jobs I previously neglected for ever and a day and I now have a very clean and polished Suzuki an 650 k3 burgman.
I feel a Skegg trip coming on, nice weather ,country roads, fish and chips on the beach.
Before anyone comments, yes where has the the Rock and Roll, beer and chicks gone?. I personally blame it on Covid 19. :P

poldark

Post by poldark »

Mine had a little runout yesterday with the Brittany Bikers, 40C was rather testing but a damn sight quieter than Skeggy will be!!

Honda NC750X DCT (2017)