Newbie- Fallen in Love with the Helix

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Newbie- Fallen in Love with the Helix

Post by Pandrop »

Afternoon all, I live in Yorkshire, and have been riding bikes for 40 odd years and in all that time never clapped eyes on a Honda Helix until I saw one in a film the other night whereupon I immediatly fell in love and after some research ended up here.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Re: Newbie- Fallen in Love with the Helix

Post by Jimo »

Welcome to the Muppetts, you are sure to find a Helix here.... but when is anybody’s guess, I have one bought 18 months ago with some problems but nothing that can’t be sorted, a Helix should be smooth running, capable of 75mph top, and about 65mpg. Like many Honda designs the Helix engine runs on ball races not white metal bearings, because of this oil pressure is generally much lower and strict attention must be paid to regular oil changes - made easy by a ‘tell tale’ on the dash changing from green to red when oil change becomes necessary.
From personal experience spark plugs can break down around 6,000 miles but test normal outside the engine, this once caused me a 3mile walk home when it failed on a 60mph road so always carry a good spare - and the appropriate spanners. The Helix is a magical machine that is becoming scarce here in UK but many are available in Italy, Switzerland and Germany, see https://www.theparking-motorcycle.eu/us ... cn250.html
Pm me if you have difficulty.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Hi Jimo, many thanks for the info . I see that you have an S8 as well , wow what a garage collection.
I just think its such a modern but retro looking machine ( if that makes sense) and almost has a look of a 70s Quasar at the front.
Do you all meet up for Helix runs etc?
Cheers
Andrew

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Hi Andrew, I’ve had the dear old S8 for more than 50 years now, used to ride it to work regularly but now being retired at 83 I’ve got some lovely Classic Honda’s beside the Helix, I bought a Helix new in 1990 and had it for more than 20 years but only covered 7,000 miles on it before selling it some 4 years ago - bought a Burgman 400 K8 and couldn’t get on with it, too heavy and Mrs couldn’t mount it so got rid of it after 600 miles in 4 years! Wanted another Helix but got a beautiful FES250 Foresight instead - then along comes my next Helix (Pictured). I’m sure we will one day have enough Helix owners to do a get-together but at moment it’s a way off, relatives live in Menston and Leeds but because of medical problems don’t get up there as often as used to.Have always done all my own maintenance but age and infirmity has taken over so my bike will be going in for an engine rebuild 28 September due to rough running and bearing noise when I bought it 18 months ago, don’t have the stamina or energy to do the job myself like I used to.

Many parts are still available for the Helix but crankshafts can be difficult as Honda don’t make them anymore but the Honda CH250 Spacy (85 - 88) uses the same engine from which I’ve just picked up a crankshaft will all good bearings for £25! NEW it would cost over £700 but no longe available.
If you’re looking to buy Andrew, don’t go for the cheapest where more likely to find problems, look in region of £2000 and expect a good one.
PM ME whenever or contact me at jkswills@googlemail.com. or. 01328 851185

All the best
Jim

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Hi Andrew, and welcome! I'm in Yorkshire too. You'll find a few Helix owners here, albeit probably few willing to sell up. It's really pleasing to see the increasing interest in these brilliant old scooters. Can I ask what was the film you saw one in?

I have an original 1986 Japanese market Fusion; here it is on our 2014 Land's End - John O'Groats run:

and a black 1990 UK model. They turn up less regularly than they used to, but they still pop up every now and again. As Jim says, two grand will buy you the best available, but don't dismiss the scruffy old warriors; these are genuinely tough machines. If the old motor is in a low state of tune (19BHP) it's long lived, with good spares availability. Really battered ones can be cheered up with a £250 set of Chinese panels. I bought my Fusion as a basket case the year after I passed my test; the cylinder head was broken and leaking oil into the water jacket, and the starter clutch was knackered. That was 12 years ago, and I've never looked back.

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Hi Jaz, thanks for the info and the picture. Im in Bingley in West Yorkshire.
The film was called The Bad Batch and they used a silver one and a battered red one. I just really like the modern/retro look of them .
Is the Fusion exactly the same model in every respect , just with a different name for the Japanese market?
I see quite a few in the US and Europe for sale but importing would be a pain/ uneconomical.
Im not in a rush, and am learning more about them all the thanks to you and Jim and hopefully others will chip in with their advice and eventually the right machine will come along.
Cheers
Andrew

Deleted User 4154

Pandrop wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:05 pm Is the Fusion exactly the same model in every respect , just with a different name for the Japanese market?
Aside from the badging there are just detail differences:
- kph only speedo (American models are just mph, UK/Euro bikes are switchable)
- UK/US/Euro bikes have a side stand warning light, the Fusion has a Speed Warning light that comes on at 80kph
- the Fusion has self-cancelling indicators (that rarely work!)
- the Fusion (and the US bikes) have running lights. Fusions have no front sidelight and a switchable headlight (US bikes have the headlight permanently on).
- later Fusions - the Japanese-only SE and X models produced between 2000-07, had a high-level brake light above the boot lid. UK and US bikes never had these. The appalling Chinese clones had these, as do the Chinese panel sets, but but no others.

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Fab, thanks for that info. I have never knowingly bought Chinese and intend to continue that tradition, so that wont be an issue.

Id rather stick with original even if its a bit tatty, I can always have the panels repaired and sprayed etc. I like my stuff original and quite enjoy taking stuff apart, stripping it down re-painting and re-assembling etc so the pearls of wisdom from the blokes on here is gold dust- stuff you wont find in any manual etc etc .
Thanks once again

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Andrew, Here’s one for you, it’s in Somerset but could be transported https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbi ... 1381737432
Hope you find this interesting it’s been advertised for 5 days.
GO FOR IT ANDREW!

Jim

Deleted User 4154

Jimo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:04 pm Andrew, Here’s one for you, it’s in Somerset but could be transported https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbi ... 1381737432
Hope you find this interesting it’s been advertised for 5 days.
GO FOR IT ANDREW!

Jim
Looks OK that, needs to lose the nasty plastic chrome bits though :lol:

I just remembered another peculiarity of the Fusion vs Helix... the 1986 Fusion has fake carpet on the running boards instead of rubber mats!