Newbie- Fallen in Love with the Helix

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Deleted User 4154

Re: Newbie- Fallen in Love with the Helix

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Jimo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:51 am This one’s got a damaged dashboard and something wrong with the screen which looks misty.....also has two buttons missing from dash.

Q. Why would a seller advertise a dirty bike for high price?

Jim
He's a chancer. It looks nice in the shiny new black Chinese panels but the chromed plastic makes me think -£500 on the price :lol:

Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Post by Pandrop »

Jaz wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:59 pm
Jimo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:51 am This one’s got a damaged dashboard and something wrong with the screen which looks misty.....also has two buttons missing from dash.

Q. Why would a seller advertise a dirty bike for high price?

Jim
He's a chancer. It looks nice in the shiny new black Chinese panels but the chromed plastic makes me think -£500 on the price :lol:
Interestingly that misty stuff on this one on fleabay was all over the lower half of the screen on mine . Dunno what it was but it was on the inside of the screen and it took a lot of cleaning off with different types of kitchen cleaner, plastic cleaner etc etc , initially thought it was paint over-spray but it wasnt, perhaps its a reaction to UV or petrol vapours or something but ive never seen anything like it before.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

How’s progress Andrew? New parts? Repairs etc.....

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Hi Jim, hope all is well with you.
Just stripping and rebuilding the caliper as all the parts have arrived then tomorrow strip front suspenion back to bare metal and repaint, grease and re-assemble.

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Andrew, you’re putting in so much work on the Helix you deserve to have great success - and much sought after happiness with your new ‘toy’ I’m with you in spirit all the way...... I used to have your energy working 18 hours a day doing heavy marine engineering but that’s in the past, it’s called ‘ageing’ and there’s nothing I can do about it which pains me greatly!

Jim

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jimo wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:04 pm Andrew, you’re putting in so much work on the Helix you deserve to have great success - and much sought after happiness with your new ‘toy’ I’m with you in spirit all the way...... I used to have your energy working 18 hours a day doing heavy marine engineering but that’s in the past, it’s called ‘ageing’ and there’s nothing I can do about it which pains me greatly!

Jim
Cheers Jim, to be honest Its something that I need to do to occupy my mind more than anything. I have quite a stressful job and I need something to think about other than my work otherwise my brain would melt and Ive loved the research elemnt of this project as much as ive enjoyed tinkering to be honest.
I can imagine tha frustration for you after a long working life but take solace from the joy you share with others , the information about your other scooters and help and advice you share about the Helix. :D
Andrew

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

G’morning Andrew, Helping people has also been part of my life, I enjoy being able to share knowledge gained over the years as much as I’ve always enjoyed mechanical work (‘tinkering’), call it a small contribution to your leisure enjoyment.
Look forward to a seeing pic of your dash so we can assess needs.

Jim

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jimo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:10 am G’morning Andrew, Helping people has also been part of my life, I enjoy being able to share knowledge gained over the years as much as I’ve always enjoyed mechanical work (‘tinkering’), call it a small contribution to your leisure enjoyment.
Look forward to a seeing pic of your dash so we can assess needs.

Jim
Sorry about the shocking photo I had to take it after work so light not good . Is this the bit that you need to see Jim?

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Andrew, yes, that’s the photo but it’s unclear, I’m looking at the 3rd and 4th buttons from the left, maybe from the photo - you have holes without buttons? Is that right? If they’re empty PM me

Jim

maxiscootnz
Benefactor
Current Ride: various

Post by maxiscootnz »

Good spotting Jim. The third button from the left is the trip switch which in the flesh should be the same as the mph ,km button to its right. For example the 2 on the left are small rectangle buttons with larger rectangle buttons on the right. However if someone has put in a round one and it works then that is awesome. This would be a good project for a member to 3d print.
Honda fc50 beat, dragster180, spacey250, cn250 Helix , C1(192) k100rs, r1100s