Benelli Velvet 250 owner says Hi

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Flopper
Current Ride: Benelli Velvet 250

Benelli Velvet 250 owner says Hi

Post by Flopper »

Hi all

Just found this forum and am offering a virtual hi to everyone. I’m a long term biker with a good few years of big bike history behind me. Eventually gave up with the big ones as I couldn’t behave and am now on an old 2002 Benelli Velvet 250 that I bought dirt cheap. Poor old bike needed some tlc to get it working but it’ll do the prescribed 70mph all day long with me on board now.

Interested in learning how people set the carbs on these older engines. My one had been well fiddled with and was running very rich according to the spark plug. I’ve turned the mixture back down and reckon it’s at a reasonable place now but am a little concerned about going to lean as I don’t want to destroy my engine.

I’ve added a small set of led lights to the bike as seeing where I’m going at night is terrible.

All the best.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Benelli Velvet 250 owner says Hi

Post by capitano »

Hi and welcome. Let's see some pics of the Velvet, please. :)

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Welcome.

Rare bike - only 10 in the UK (plus 9x125, 1x400, 1x150). So yes, pictures please! :)
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Flopper

Post by Flopper »

Hi there. Thanks for your replies. Only 10 left in the UK. That’ll be why I couldn’t find any other posts about these scooters on this site.

It’s got the old yp250 engine but packaged in a different frame.

It’s been a work in progress since I got it during the last lock down.

I need to rebuild the rear calliper as it’s not as smooth as it could be but I can’t find a rebuild kit for it anywhere so I’m gonna have to break it apart and measure up the components and then order in.

Good fun to ride though.

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Nice
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Yes, indeed. That's a nice looking machine. Can't beat a bit of chrome.

Flopper

Post by Flopper »

It does the job for me.

Smallest bike I’ve owned for years but probably the easiest to pop out on due to it not being heavy.

I’d love to improve the suspension as it’s crap. I’ve changed the front seals and oil but that didn’t help. It’s pretty crappy on rough roads. I suspect it just doesn’t have the travel needed to be comfortable or the damping is not up to scratch. I’m not a suspension expert though so will have to live with it.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on improving the headlights. My old scoot only has 2 x 35w bulbs. I did try installing some led replacements but the beam was all over the place so i had to revert to the standard bulbs.

Also, does anyone have any tips for my old engine. Any pointers on common issues or suggestions to keep it running sweet.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Nice, unusual machine! I've never seen one of those before.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

I bought one of these from a Newbury dealer, supposedly new, around 2002. Here is a picture after about a year of all season commuting.

The rusty penny washers are part of my addition "wings" to stop rain channelling onto my legs. This was an extremely pretty machine but under the surface was plenty of evidence that it wasn't truly new but more of a cobbled together assembly of left over parts that didn't fit together very well. I tried a few modifications such as a Malossi variator, which wasn't much good. But the truth is that after about two years I wasn't all that sorry that it was written off by a young driver who was on her mobile phone and drove in to the back of me while I was stationary. Hopefully you have a machine which was properly assembled in Italy so there is no point my recounting all the issues I suffered due to dodgy importers and dealer.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Regarding the headlights - my J300 had 2x35W and they were better than the current Xmax offering. I wonder if uprated bulbs may help? This gets good reviews although you'd need to check fitment.