Greetings from Anglesey

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
DeltaTango
Current Ride: Looking to buy

Greetings from Anglesey

Post by DeltaTango »

Greetings, All,

I've recently relocated out of London to Ynys Mon (Anglesey), and have discovered that public transport is not quite as extensive here as it is in the big smoke. No surprises there, of course! Nevertheless, getting to places but a few minutes' drive away in a car is now like trying to get to the moon on public transport. Thus I have resolved to get myself a 125 cc maxi scooter. I will be continuing to full licence status so I can carry a pillion passenger, but I'm planning to stick to autos. I'm not interested in speed, though I'd like to keep up on the motorway. My priorities are comfort (I'd like to do some UK touring) storage, and reliability. I don't know the first thing about mechanical matters, and suspect that I could accidentally break something just by staring at it (though, I'm resolved to learn).

After having done a bit of research, I really like the look of the Honda S-Wing bikes. But, I'm unsure of whether a private or dealership bike will be better for me. Here are two options, for example, on which I would appreciate the sage advice of the Muppets. My budget is £2350 MAX.

Honda S-Wing (2008)
5000 miles
2 previous owners
£1800
Private seller (eBay)

or

Piaggio X-Evo (2016)
14000 miles
3 previous owners
£2350
Dealership (local)

Many thanks in advance for any advice. I hope everyone is keeping well during the plague season.

Regards,

Dylan

Deleted User 4154

Re: Greetings from Anglesey

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Hi Dylan, and welcome!

Keeping it brief... that X-Evo is comically overpriced but that's dealers for you. I have never bought from a dealer, and I never will. There are others here who will tell you a different story, but my experience is based on 20-odd years of mates' experiences at the hands of the breed - paying way over the odds for machines because of the alleged 'advantages' of buying from a dealer (warranty, after sales, customer service) and then, when the shit hits the fan with their new purchase, watching the dealer run away and hide; quoting obscure, bizarre exclusion clauses and - on occasion - resorting to threats of physical violence. Obviously, some private sellers are crooks - or wannabe dealers - too, but some are not, and in my experience they are easy to tell apart after about 5 minutes in their company.

The X-Evo isn't a bad scooter - I had the 400 version for a while - but I personally would go for the S-Wing. Never had one myself, but have met lots of satisfied owners on here and on the road. The ones I've ridden in the company of seemed to go well for 125s too. It's a physically large scoot, as well, which gives you a bit of extra presence on the road; never a bad thing.

DeltaTango

Post by DeltaTango »

Hi, Jaz,

Many thanks for your welcome, reply, and the useful information contained therein. If there is one factor which can minimise risk when buying used, would it be the presence of a service history? It seems that mileage isn't necessarily indicative of the remaining lifespan of a bike when we consider that it might have been either maintained very diligently or entirely neglected.

This Honda S-Wing is currently for sale on eBay, and looks pretty clean. Do you think it might be worth having a look at?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-FES125 ... 4530636388

Thanks again!

P.S. Apologies if eBay links aren't tolerated here - will delete if required.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Honestly, I would go for the SWing for the same reasons as Jaz.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

hello and welcome nice race track you got there,i would say this because i have got one a honda sh 125i,big in size,does lots of mpg,about 130 mine does theres also the honda mode again just as good but bit smaller.
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

DeltaTango

Post by DeltaTango »

Funkycowie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:18 am Honestly, I would go for the SWing for the same reasons as Jaz.
Thanks for that, Funky. Yep, after reading Jaz's reply I'm not going to go for the X-Evo at that price. I've edited my post above to include a Honda S-Wing currently for sale on eBay. I'd really appreciate whether you think it might be worth going to have a look at. Though, it is a long way from Anglesey to where the bike is located in Chelmsford.

DeltaTango

Post by DeltaTango »

richie the 1st wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:21 am hello and welcome nice race track you got there,i would say this because i have got one a honda sh 125i,big in size,does lots of mpg,about 130 mine does theres also the honda mode again just as good but bit smaller.
Hey, Rich. Yep, I did my CBT out there by the Anglesey Circuit. Would love to have a spin on it. I'm reading a lot of good things about Honda scoots. Thanks for the reply and info.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

DeltaTango wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:27 am
Funkycowie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:18 am Honestly, I would go for the SWing for the same reasons as Jaz.
Thanks for that, Funky. Yep, after reading Jaz's reply I'm not going to go for the X-Evo at that price. I've edited my post above to include a Honda S-Wing currently for sale on eBay. I'd really appreciate whether you think it might be worth going to have a look at. Though, it is a long way from Anglesey to where the bike is located in Chelmsford.
Obviously you can't be sure without seeing it in the plastic, but it looks nice in the pictures. The only thing I would say is "old MOT certificates" != "service history"... I know it's only done 4900 miles but it's still 10 years old. Mileage is probably genuine, as most scooters that have racked up big mileages commuting in London tend to be wrecked. So, I'd want to know about servicing but there aren't really any other red flashing lights coming from that ad.

It is a very long way from you, though - is nothing much coming up that's a bit closer to home? You're less likely to get a deal on a scooter so far from home, as the seller will think that if you're coming all that way you're pretty set on buying it anyway.

DeltaTango

Post by DeltaTango »

Hi, Jaz, many thanks again for that useful reply. Knowing so little, as I do, I really do appreciate your thoughts. Unfortunately, the only Honda S-Wing 125 bikes currently for sale are all over 200 miles away from Anglesey. Most are high-mileage bikes sold ex-London, so quite possibly thrashed.

I contacted the eBay seller of the one I linked to here, and he said that if I were to pay a 10% deposit online then he would reserve the bike for me; if when I see it in the plastic I don't like it, he will return the deposit. But, yes, it's a long journey on public transport. Bangor - London, then London - Chelmsford. The ride back up to Anglesey would be fun, though. Providing that the bike makes it...

Deleted User 17800

Post by Deleted User 17800 »

I'm after one aswell as my OAP scoot lol .Missed out on few local ones get out bid hoping one pops up over the winter within 50 miles .