Hello from X Max 400 owner

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Hello from X Max 400 owner

Post by SH125Paul »

You on the NC forum? Funkycowie of T Max fame and Gate Keeper of the Muppets is a NC convert.
My NC750X is a '19 with the SDBV or something... so the newer forks, think they changed on the 16, maybe 18? and think they may have a little more travel than the S. Find em OK, I'm glad Honda went on the firm side rather than soggy soft... At least there is support on the brakes with a fair weight bike.
last 'bike' was a CCM R30 Supermoto (The CCM with me on weighs nearly the same as the NC on its own!) with longish travel and plushish WP albeit the cheap version, so real different ride, riding style, and suspension feel and balance...
Sometimes ride with my eldest pillion on the NC so a balance with the rear shock setting.

Found The Xmax 400 forks fine, but the swing of the engine could get things interesting on shite tarmac at speed...
Also used to the limitation of SH125 budget fore and aft suspension crashing n banging as its a bit shorter wheel base... but does the job

All things to consider for that ride equilibrium, just backing of the throttle a little can really smooth things out at times... or speeding up!

Loves the DCT, Sport 2 is stroke for stroke as id change normally... S3 for livelier in the summer... standard D around town feels lumpy, but its more justthe character of the lowrevving engine, but gear wise is up down up down, changes its mind more often than the Mrs...
And the odd thump down a gear approaching a roundabout, tight turn or overtake... its what sold me on it... just wish it was belt drive, did fit a scottoiler.

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

From what you say about the forks, and the DCT gearbox ( I have now read up a bit about the SDBV forks) and the later model NC 750X DCT, it may be better for me. However, I have only had the X Max 400 for 11 months, and I am pretty satisfied with it, as it does everything I need. I have been changing bikes too quickly in the past couple of years - I think I'll keep it for another year, then maybe an NC 750X DCT. Test rides are out at the moment anyway.
Thanks for the info.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

I was commuting on the Xmax400 for quite a while, with the CCM for fun... the CCM wasnt getting a great deal of use... Kids, Weekend Comitments...
And the 400 has a wide arse for traffic and a bit overkill for a stop start 18mile each way commute to central london ave about 16 or18 mph with only one short 40 streatch of 1 mile.
So the Solo use CCM went after 12 years in 2015, and got an SH125 for the commute, tool for the job... and the '13 Xmax was kept for Weekend jaunts occasionaly with one of the kids on the back for breakfast or ice cream...
A wrong turn on the way home from Box Hill Zig Zag Hill and there abouts with the eldest after a breakfast run, took me past Dobles...
And so the PX for the '19 NC happened. Then the '15 SH got PX'd for the '20 model after the XL bike show... based on residual value and train ticket costs... right time to change... reasonable cost to change.
As you can see i tend to hang on to each for quite a while or a change due to change of use...

Enjoy ya Xmax400, I enjoyed mine for the 5 or so years if ownership... Hopefully my NC will give similar enjoyment.

ZayT
Current Ride: Yamaha xmax 400

Post by ZayT »

Hey bro, fellow xmax 400 owner here. I can't lie we're definitely a rare breed but it's always nice to meet somebody with the same bike. Was wondering do u still have ur xmax 400? How's it doing a year later? I've had mine for about a month or 2 and mainly used it for driving around London. I've been down a roads and motorways on some 100+ mile road trips too tho and pushed it upto 95mph (got a top box on it so I usually cruise around 70-80mph). Before I purchased it I got to choose between this and the 300. I chose this bc of how much long distance riding I do but also bc it is quite abit faster than the 300 and due to the weight it's more stable at high speeds. It does come with downsides tho, worse mpg than the 300 and I know some people find the extra weight makes it more cumbersome (honestly don't understand dat part bc I can comfortably ride through the city with only 1 hand on the handles and still flick it around). Whether it was the right choice or not depends entirely on u and what u want from the bike. Interested in hearing ur opinion of the bike tho after being a long term owner 👀

robertchmar
Current Ride: Xmax 400 and others

Post by robertchmar »

I have you or someone change the torque spring on a Xmax 400?
Will try 20gr rollers …
Thanks