Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
SensibleStan
Current Ride: Honda NCX700

Post by SensibleStan »

Hello !

Newbie alert, newbie alert.

I have always ridden motorcycles, currently a Honda NCX700 [which i am keeping] ; and about twenty years ago i had a Vespa ET4.
The scooter itch has arisen again, and i am thinking of either a Piaggio Vespa GTS300, or a Piaggio Beverley 350 ST.

There are currently examples of both online for about 3.5k, which is about my budget.
The deal breaker for me is that i am six foot three tall; so i am looking for a scooter that fits me above all else.
I don't generally like scooters that are overly plastic enclosed; I am happy to see at least some of the back wheel.

I have looked around various forums for information from other tall contributors, but have had limited success. My inside leg measures thirty five inches.

Would really appreciate any contributions here, specifically with regard to 'fit' - i understand the differences of the different two machines.
i do not think that i have overlooked any other candidates -it really is a choice of the two machines listed.
I shall be keeping my motorcycle for longer journeys.

Many thanks
Sensible Stan

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Newbie

Post by capitano »

Hi Stan

I had an ET4 for a while and loved it, but I'm 5'11" so if you rode one at 6'3" neither the GTS nor the Bev should really be an issue.

I'm assuming that you have heard of the cycle ergo site.

https://cycle-ergo.com/

Welcome! 8-)

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

How do...
NCX700.... you on the NC site? I've got a NC750X DCT and an SH125.
I likes the Vespa for style, and the flat seat means they can fit all sizes... but as a Honda owner, have you considered, or seen if you can fit on the SH300?
Maybes a little cramped.

SensibleStan

Post by SensibleStan »

Hello
Thank you for your replies. I seem to recall that i sold on the ET4 within a year, as it wasn't cut out for my short motorway commute - so ended up taking the 'old' slow road which kind of negated the point of two wheels.
i also recall it being a little small for me, and fuel economy being a bit poor for a 125cc machine ! But I did like the colour.

I shall inspect the website that you have kindly linked to.

I have only seen any recent scooters online, so have not been able to sit on any. I do know an owner of an SH300 who thinks the XMAX 300 would be better - but I am not really keen on all that plastic and big exhaust stuff; and I don't want to be molesting new machines with after market parts etc.

I did register on the NC700 forum quite some years back, but havent been on for a while.

At the moment i seem to be leaning toward the 300 GTS as there is quite a choice of them.
For what it is worth I am based in Reading , so would expect the GTS to be capable of forty mile trips into London once [if] this pandemic goes away.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

SensibleStan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:02 pm ....so would expect the GTS to be capable of forty mile trips into London once [if] this pandemic goes away.
More than capable, but sad to say... but you'll need a bloody good chain! - Vespas 'n London just don't mix... Thieving Bastards...

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

SH125Paul wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:35 pm
SensibleStan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:02 pm ....so would expect the GTS to be capable of forty mile trips into London once [if] this pandemic goes away.
More than capable, but sad to say... but you'll need a bloody good chain! - Vespas 'n London just don't mix... Thieving Bastards...
Bevs and T Maxes are rated as thief magnets, too.

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

Hi Stan, I am the same height as you at 6'3", so I know the problem taller riders have with scooters / bikes in general. The problem is the distance between the foot boards,and the handlebars, and how far you can sit back on the seat, to stop you knees fouling on the handlebars They make bikes and scooters mainly for people of average height, and 6'3" is not average.I have a 2019 Yamaha X Max 400 which is very comfortable for me. although it is similar in looks to the X Max 300, which you do not fancy.The only problem I have with the X Max is on tight turns where my knees foul on the underside of the handlebars, on full lock. I cope with it by putting my knee out, or in, if I need to turn on full lock. I have found this problem on most, if not all scooters. I recently had a Honda S Wing 125 which I ran for 18 months with which I had the same problem but I was able to cope as above.
I have also owned a 2009 Burgman 400 which I found very low, which made my knees come up too high when on the saddle. I have also test ridden a Honda PCX125( too small) and a Kawasaki J 300 which fit me OK, went well, but I got blown about a lot when I went on the motorway,which put me off that one. It was good apart from on the motorway and I very nearly bought it, and I think it would have been OK for me if I kept off the motorway.
I have also sat on a Honda FJS 600 Silverwing which was far too low, which made my knees too high. I test rode a 650 Burgman (2017) which seemed to fit ok, with excellent power, but I got a lot of wind blast at higher speeds, even with the screen fully up. I also got backache after riding it which may or may not have been due to the Burgman ( I have a dodgy back at the best of times.)
I had a Piaggio X9 500 ( 2002) which fit me well,had good power, and I kept for 18 months. I had an SH 300 for about 6 months, fit was not too bad,but I found the seating position " perched" me over the front end, and there was not much room for my feet. Power was good but suspension was hard, overall the bike was a too small for me. The only scooters I can recommend from personal use for a tall rider,which I have owned or ridden are - Piaggio X 9 500 ( getting long in the tooth now), Yamaha X Max 400 owned 11 months / 5000 miles ( Good) still owned, Honda FES 125 S Wing ( Good), Kawasaki J 300 ( not owned) but felt good to me apart from on motorway - but that could have been down to a loose motorcycle jacket I was wearing, catching the wind.
The best thing obviously, is to sit on some different models and have as long a test ride as possible, before deciding. I like scooters but have found at my height / size I have to compromise, as most, if not all, are not designed for a person of my size/ height. Have a look on you tube at " The Chronicles of Mr Fish", he is 6'2" / 16/17 stone, and has uploaded several videos of scooters he has test ridden. Also you can look at "Tall rider" on you tube who shows himself sitting on a lot of scooters ( most of which look small under him at 6'2")

SensibleStan

Post by SensibleStan »

Wow
Many thanks for your input on that; it is apppreciated. I shall carry on my investigations.
i have finally managed to get a good quote for multi bike policy for comprehensive insurance. My current and previous insurers both went a bit 'quiet' when i asked for multi bike for my Honda NC700 and a Vespa.
Both would quote me independently for the two separate machines on separate policies, but didn't like whatever the perceived risk was of having both on one policy.
However, I did some more chasing round and got a good quote. I am still inching toward a Vespa GTS300, the issue being at the moment of not being able to get to any dealerships whilst we are in lockdown. And i think we may be stuck with that for a while.
I was also kind of basing my judgement on the idea that if i get a GTS now and really don't get on, i would be looking to move it on by summer time when the weather is better, and hopefully everyone is a bit more mobile.

SensibleStan

Post by SensibleStan »

Hello again,

Many thanks for the replies. I took delivery the other day of a GTS300.
I have only managed a few short essential shopping trips , but hoping [obviously] to get out more later in the year.

I also bought a few extra locks to keep it secure.