Greetings from Colorado-info on Kymco AK550

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Twisted Martini
Current Ride: none-RIP_2009_TMAX_6-2-2019

Greetings from Colorado-info on Kymco AK550

Post by Twisted Martini »

Hello Muppets!

I am an experienced Maxi rider located in Denver, CO and are looking to get back on a bike after a bad wreck in 2019 that killed my 2009 TMAX. While i love Yamaha, it is my understanding they will not be bringing the TMAX to the states anytime soon. I was turned on to the Kymco AK550 and all the reviews/videos i have seen give it high marks. I know it has been in Europe for a while, anyone have any experiences with it good or bad?

Thanks and look forward to hanging out!

Dan

Fulhamfc
Current Ride: BMW C400 X

Re: Greetings from Colorado-info on Kymco AK550

Post by Fulhamfc »

Hi
welcome, I have a sym 300 , also taiwan company as is kymco , they do larger bikes and are v good mine is 5 year old with 5 year warranty and only has had a recent annoying wiring problem now sorted by the supplier have a look at them too

atb

fulhamfc

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Hi Twisted Martini were you on MajestyUSA forums?
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

My AK550 is a perfect scooter/motorcycle crossover. It has never given any trouble in an admittedly low mileage over the last 2.5 years. Brakes are superb with the possible exception of the handbrake which isn't very useful on steep slopes. Unlike a normal scooter the engine and transmission weight is not unsprung so handling is on a par with a good motorcycle. Final drive is by a well protected and, by comparison with the T-Max, an overspecified toothed belt.

I don't personally like the connected features but that's just because I am too old to appreciate current mobile phone technology, my mobile is a phone and that's all! In the UK Kymco introduced some recalls which improved battery life but these are now standard on new machines.

All the benefits of weather protection and underseat storage are there although I also fitted a Givi rear rack and top box too. Performance is excellent and easily keeps up with any middleweight motorcycle because of the continuously variable transmission. Cruising at 80 mph is no trouble if that's what you like to do.

The manufacturers service interval recommendations seem to vary from country to country but don't follow the trend of extending them like some others are doing. My advice would be to faithfully carry out oil and filter changes and do other things based on your riding style and climate conditions and regular visual checks. The first oil change is particularly important as I found some large bits of aluminium swarf in the two nylon mesh filters. All subsequent changes were completely clean and the engine is well protected with two mesh filters and a cartridge type as well.

For me a change of bike is normal after two to three years and as I get older the Kymco is a bit on the heavy side for moving around my small garage and narrow driveway. Also, as it doesn't have a reverse gear, it can be tricky if trapped nose first in a parking slot on a heavily cambered road. So I have decide that my next scooter will be electric!
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Twisted Martini

Thanks for the info Roadster! Still wanting to make sure my wife is ok with me getting back on a bike, but the AK550 is where my eye is looking now. And yes Funky, that is me from the Majesty USA forum, not much activity on there anymore sadly.

Twisted Martini

roadster wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:03 am
The manufacturers service interval recommendations seem to vary from country to country but don't follow the trend of extending them like some others are doing. My advice would be to faithfully carry out oil and filter changes and do other things based on your riding style and climate conditions and regular visual checks. The first oil change is particularly important as I found some large bits of aluminium swarf in the two nylon mesh filters. All subsequent changes were completely clean and the engine is well protected with two mesh filters and a cartridge type as well.
Just getting back to it, as I had a beautiful 2015 TMAX slip through my fingers because I was too slow. Is the AK550 easy to do self service on-battery access, oil changes that kind of stuff?

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

welcome.

how did you aquire your mia tmax?

I think yamaha made a HUGE mistake not importing it into the US. so much potential to sell.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Twisted Martini wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:01 pm Just getting back to it, as I had a beautiful 2015 TMAX slip through my fingers because I was too slow. Is the AK550 easy to do self service on-battery access, oil changes that kind of stuff?
Battery access is not quick because you have to remove the screen then the panel beneath it. Its almost essential to wire in a charger lead to check and maintain the battery and I think Kymco introduced a socket for this in a later modification. Oil changes are easy enough, there are two drain plugs which incorporate filters. In addition there is a cartridge type filter and to get at that side and bottom panel need to be removed. But now that the workshop manual can be obtained on-line its easier than having to work out how to do that by trial and error. I suppose that is a disadvantage of the motorcycle layout underneath scooter panels.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Twisted Martini

Hey Rocketman,

I bought my 2009 TMAX brand new in 2011, ended up with over 50K miles on when I crashed in 2019. I totally agree that Yamaha is making a mistake in not bringing it over but the market for a Maxi in the US is a fraction of that in Europe due to the proliferation of cheap motorcycles. Chances are someone looking for a large displacement bike doesn't want a scooter.

As far as as the battery goes on the AK, that is similar to the battery access for the TMAX. If i do pull the trigger i will be sure and have a pigtail added prior to taking delivery.

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

truen the motorcycle desire is much higher than for a scooter.

but with a large population they could have persuaded people with marketing. some drag races, cornering and even a bit of space under the seat and custom display. still comes down to many that made in the usa is something precious