Looking at New Burgman 400

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Andyf63
Current Ride: HarleySportster

Looking at New Burgman 400

Post by Andyf63 »

Hi Everyone,
I live in central London, I’ve ridden scooters before when “doing the knowledge” to be a London cab driver- so rode about 30,000 miles in all weathers on a 125.
I hit mid 50s got the Big C so treated myself to a Harley sportster . So done that , wife wants to ride but not on the sportster - don’t blame her it’s bone shaker.
I’m looking at a new 400, we’re both about a combined weight of 380 lbs and will take short trips to the coast - 80- 100 miles round trips ; do you think the bike would be suitable for A road rising with that weight at say 60mph?
Tbh London is a 20mph zone now, the bike seems a waste of time almost never making it to 3rd gear,so looking to get back to a scooter.
Would appreciate your experienced comments .
Cheers
Andy

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Looking at New Burgman 400

Post by StephenC »

Andy, welcome. Can't talk about the Burger personally so I'll leave that to others.

But the 20 zones in London now are so frustrating! Even along the Embankment. It's gotten so bad I even go south of the river on my commute when I go in now.

EDIT - :oops: just realised you might have thought I was being funny with the south of the river comment. Sorry! It was unintentional (but actually I think it was funny that it WAS unintentional) :D
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Hi Andy, welcome. I think a 400 burger will be more than suitable for the job. I’ve ridden mine down to S. France on a few occasions (round trip of over 2k miles) and been very comfortable. The weight should not be an issue but before you buy check the limit with the dealer. My burger has a kerb weight of 480lbs + top box etc. Then add your 380lbs and you should be within 920lbs gross vehicle weight. However I believe the newest version of the bike is lighter so you’ll have to ensure you’re aware of this. Other than that good luck and I can definitely recommend burgers

Andyf63
Current Ride: HarleySportster

Post by Andyf63 »

Thanks very much ; it arrives in 2 weeks, maybe we both go on a diet to make sure we’re not over the weight limit,

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

" do you think the bike would be suitable for A road rising with that weight at say 60mph?"

yes, I am a muscular guy at 210lbs or so. and I dated a woman once who was not a petite woman. not fat or chubby at all. just tallish and bigger frame. I was doing 60 comfortably with her

Im not certain the scooter comes with a backrest for pillion. the limited Z did in previous gen. you may consider getting a topbox and add a backrest on that. you will also need a plate to mount the box on it. some modifying may be necessary.

one thing that the 2007+ model had that was a benefit for the pillion rider was foot rests vs pegs that flip out. it makes a different for the rider. the 2007+ had nice large rests with a rubber pad.