How to get the bike onto the center stand

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Phillsmith
Current Ride: Bergman 650

How to get the bike onto the center stand

Post by Phillsmith »

Hello all, just joined the forum and hoping you can help with a problem I have. Iv just bought an 18 reg berg 650 and love it. But I've just come back to biking after 12 years due to ill health and iv found after quite a serious op and medication I take that a lot of my strength has gone. With the bike being heavy I find I can't get it onto the center stand without help. As there's not always anyone around I wondered if anyone out there can give me a tip to make this a little easier Hopeing you can help as I love the bike and don't want to have to look for another type of machine .With many thanks Phill.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: How to get the bike onto the center stand

Post by roadster »

You should first check that the suspension has not been lowered by a previous owner. Look up the seat height when new and measure yours. If the ride height is normal it is only technique that can really help. This would usually mean pushing the stand down gently until it touches the ground and, by rocking the scooter gently from side to side, make sure that both stand feet are grounded. At that point use your full weight with your right foot on the stand lever rather than trying to lift the scooter with your hand and arm.

If this doesn't help check the clearance with the ground that the rear wheel has when on the stand. If this is greater than necessary it may be possible to either modify the stand by shortening the legs, or modify the suspension to raise the static ride height. The Bergman is a hefty machine but I would be surprised if the original bike was too difficult to get on to the stand.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

CharlieMac
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

Post by CharlieMac »

I had the same problem with my TDM after I lowered the front by 20mm. The solution for me was to carry a little wedged piece of wood, which I run the back wheel onto, thereby raising the back end. Very simply goes up on the stand using the normal technique. Hope this helps.

Phillsmith
Current Ride: Bergman 650

Post by Phillsmith »

Many thanks to you. I will preserve as I love the bike.Its nice to talk to people who enjoy scooters as there isn't a lot of "Bikers" out there that do! Thanks again Phill

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

sorry for your health troubles, great youre back
looks helpful. you make sure to grab the rail and pull up and back and the foot pressing down?

the wood wedge idea sounds great. takes some time and have your hand on the brake lever, but definitely an option. gets it higher than easier for the stand to slip into its position.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Rocketman122 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:33 am
sorry for your health troubles, great youre back
looks helpful. you make sure to grab the rail and pull up and back and the foot pressing down?
This is all very well but if you say "pull up and press down" it infers the use of muscles and misses the point that you can use your body weight to press down rather than straining both down and up with opposing muscles which gets difficult for us older riders. What seems very easy when you are under 50 can get very difficult when you are over 70! But its worth persevering and learning a few techniques that help continuing to enjoy the ride.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

I use momentum more than force. on my hd200 I can do it with 1 hand holding the rail.

hand on rail, roll the bike back ever so slowly and in one swoop, pull the hand rest towards the back and press down. I could probably do it to the maxsym 600 if I wasnt nervous it may go the other way from the weight. the hd200 doesnt weigh much so not worried regarding that.

muscles and strength is an issue we will all have to deal as well get older. personally if I get to the point I cant lift a scooter on a jack, I will either improvise or just go with something lighter. that b650 is a super heavy scooter. Im not sure id have the power at 70 to move it around.