Hello and a question

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
JP1
Current Ride: None

Hello and a question

Post by JP1 »

Hi

My name's Jeremy and I've had various bikes over the years starting with a Suzuki AP50, and including a VFR750 and a CRF250L

Farming's always been a passion of mine and after 25 very eventful and quite successful years in the supply side of the events business and with much travelling internationally, I took a step back 10 years ago and now living my dream.

I work full time but also now keep some lovely groups of native breed cattle in my home village and on various blocks of conservation grazing. Bear with me as it's relevant to my question.

I've a quad and a Landrover Defender for the farm but many of my blocks of away ground in the Summer are a way away. They do get looked at daily by folks but I like to check them at least weekly myself and have to attend to move them from field to field etc

I pay private fuel on a Company car so I've bene mulling over the following:

1. My daily checks in the village and 4 mile radius with an electric pedal assisted bike with racks that can carry me, my collie on the back rack and a few tools and a halter / part sack of cow sweeties. Something like this :

https://radpowerbikes.eu/products/radru ... ility-bike

About 1200 euro new with big front and back racks. 15 mph

2. The above plus the cattle 25 miles away and possibly my summer 6 mile commute to work with a road registered electric UBCO:

https://www.daltonsatvs.co.uk/products/ ... e-by-ubco/

But after grant they're £4,5k

3. (and this is why I'm here) a petrol scoot that can do plenty economically. Check even the cattle 45 miles from home, not have range anxiety and even do long distances to see family in the West Country.

I like the thought of a Vision 110, SH Mode or SH125, possibly tidy but secondhand as I'm bound to scratch the plastic panels quite quickly anyway

Future wise I'm thinking I'd carry it in a motorhome garage too or on a tow bar rack on a pod type camper on a pickup.

They've all got their plusses and minuses.

Anyone got any experiences of options 1 or 2 and with three which route would you go down?

Thanks in advance

JP1

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Hello and a question

Post by capitano »

Hello and welcome.
As regards (3) I have a feeling that Richie has had all three of those bikes, so he'd be qualified to comment.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

You seem to be looking for quite a lot of flexibility and in respect of the electric options my own experience is that one vehicle doesn't as yet cover every type of use. I have a Silence S01 electric scooter and am lucky enough to be able to run both a hybrid SUV and a 888 cc Triumph too. I also have a standard type of 250 watt electric assisted push bike. I use each of them for different types of journey and although this saves on fuel ( and also emissions if that concerns you ) I pay far too much insurance keeping them all on the road which nullifies any true fuel cost savings. The electric vehicle problem is that maximum range figures mean absolutely nothing if you are carrying various loads and operate in normal country roads rather than flat city streets. There is no doubt that if I was forced to keep only one vehicle it would be the hybrid 4X4 SUV which has huge carrying capacity, doesn't mind short urban journeys and returns over 50 mpg on longer runs and averages 45 mpg over its entire life so far.

With electric bikes or scooters a very large proportion of the weight is in the batteries so if you want to load them onto other vehicles make sure the batteries are removable so that they can be manhandled separately.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

JP1

Post by JP1 »

Thanks for the replies thus far

wightegi
Current Ride: Forza 300 Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

Hi the Vision 110 would fit your requirements, they are used as pizza bikes so can carry a bit of gear , if you look at Scooty man on utube you will learn a lot more about them ,but if you want to carry the whole family a pig and a few hundred boxes the only bike that will do that is the Honda Cub :lol: .

JP1

Post by JP1 »

wightegi wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:45 pm Hi the Vision 110 would fit your requirements, they are used as pizza bikes so can carry a bit of gear , if you look at Scooty man on utube you will learn a lot more about them ,but if you want to carry the whole family a pig and a few hundred boxes the only bike that will do that is the Honda Cub :lol: .
Thank you. No pigs or crates but a rear wider platform with back for the collie

This is the quad box

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

what you need is a Honda CT125 postie bike, Seven Seas Motos in Macclesfield, are grey importing them. See youTube
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

JP1

Post by JP1 »

Dave Weller wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:19 pm what you need is a Honda CT125 postie bike, Seven Seas Motos in Macclesfield, are grey importing them. See youTube
Thanks
A few years ago and before I got my quad I tried like anything to get a Honda XR190L on import but emissions killed it

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

The new CT125 are legal for UK, each one is being passed by VOSA
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

capitano wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:44 am Hello and welcome.
As regards (3) I have a feeling that Richie has had all three of those bikes, so he'd be qualified to comment.
yeah but another one the suzuki address 110
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.