Battery life

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
DEREKDAVIES3
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650 executive

Battery life

Post by DEREKDAVIES3 »

Evening all,my name is Derek,I have owned a Burgman 650 executive since I bought it new in 2010.I thought I’d just share the following with you.Last Friday got my scooter out of the garage, tried to start it, dead as a dodo.This was the first time in eleven years that it had let me down.The battery was the original one from when I bought it in September 2010.I tried to charge the battery to no avail.Purchased a new battery (£40) replaced the old one with the new one, started straight away.
Hope my new battery lasts as long as the old one, although I have my doubts.Has anybody else had their battery last for nearly eleven years?

Deleted User 18472

Re: Battery life

Post by Deleted User 18472 »

Hello & Welcome........

Deleted User 18472

Post by Deleted User 18472 »

5 years is the longest that I have had a battery survive.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

A lead-acid battery which is perfectly maintained will have an indefinitely long life. This is the one advantage over lithium batteries which usually give up after a couple of years, especially in laptops, and have a fairly predictable loss of capacity after a certain number of discharge cycles. Your pattern of use of the Burgman has obviously been good for the battery and probably good for the rest of the scooter too. Tell us the secret if you can!
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

DEREKDAVIES3

Post by DEREKDAVIES3 »

I have no secret.I have done 24000 miles since purchasing the scooter in 2010, so you can see I don’t use it that much, especially in the winter months.I put something around 3,000 to 4,000 miles when my wife and I went to the south of France on it back in 2011.I have only once given the battery a trickle charge which was around December last year.I sometimes don’t ride the scooter for a couple of weeks at a time and never more than once or twice a week to go to walking football which is about a ten mile round trip.I usually do one long trip a year for a short break.That is the full story really.I have been extremely lucky to have the battery last so long.

DEREKDAVIES3

Post by DEREKDAVIES3 »

Clive wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:37 am Hello & Welcome........
Thankyou.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

DEREKDAVIES3 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:32 am I have no secret.I have done 24000 miles since purchasing the scooter in 2010, so you can see I don’t use it that much, especially in the winter months.I put something around 3,000 to 4,000 miles when my wife and I went to the south of France on it back in 2011.I have only once given the battery a trickle charge which was around December last year.I sometimes don’t ride the scooter for a couple of weeks at a time and never more than once or twice a week to go to walking football which is about a ten mile round trip.I usually do one long trip a year for a short break.That is the full story really.I have been extremely lucky to have the battery last so long.
That is amazing. Perhaps it tells us that the 2010 models just pre-date all the more recent electronic systems which suck the life out of the battery when the scooter is not in use.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

anytime one of my scooter sits for a week, I yank the battery out and get it charged and put it on the side and install only when I go ride that scooter again.

you probably could have had it work longer if it was on a trickle charger. 5 years was he max one lasted for me. and thats before I knew much about battery maintenance.

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Optimate.