Hi, ex biker looking for a scooter.

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Shep63
Current Ride: None

Hi, ex biker looking for a scooter.

Post by Shep63 »

As the title says I'm an ex biker and I'm being drawn towards getting myself a scooter of some kind.
I'm not sure what make to be honest,I've been checking out the Suzuki burgman 400 on auto trader and it seems to get decent reviews.
I'm hoping to get something between 250cc- 400cc and looking at paying under£2000.
I realise that I would probably be looking at something that may need a bit tlc,but I'm ok with that, I've done a bit work on motorbikes I've previously owned,nothing major but I can change tyres,break pads,discs etc.
I will be using the scoot mainly for commuting to work from Consett in Durham to Gateshead,so about a 35 mile round trip on 'A' roads, and the occasional weekend away.
Most important to me is reliability and good fuel economy.
Sooooooo,any suggestions as to what brands and engine size I should be looking at will be very gratefully received. Tia.

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Re: Hi, ex biker looking for a scooter.

Post by Stibbs »

An “ex biker”? And you want a maxi scoot? That doesn’t make you “ex”!! Riding a scooter you’re still a biker. I’ve owned all sorts of bikes in my riding life ranging from 50cc to 1200. Trials bikes, adventure bikes, tourers, sports bikes et al. And now I’ve alighted on scooters. In reality throughout my clutched bike days I often also supplemented them for a scoot for popping out and really enjoyed them. I ended up with an R1200RT and an old Burgman 400. After suffering a left shoulder injury I found that more than an hour or so of clutch use my shoulder gave me gyp. So, I sold the Beemer and upgraded the Burgman. Never looked back. 5 years old, 21k on the clock. Been to S France a couple of times, toured UK, still used regularly. I’m still a “Biker”. Just because you ride a scooter doesn’t mean you’re not. Don’t fall into that trap. I recommend the Burger 400. Specifically the pre 2016 models as the storage is better if you intend touring and they’re relatively easy to service (if I can you can).
Anyway, welcome to the board “Biker” and enjoy your ride.

Deleted User 18446

Post by Deleted User 18446 »

400 burger probably best bang for your buck for 2grand Id try for 2007 on with 30 k on clock but reasonable service history .

Shep63

Post by Shep63 »

Stibbs wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:38 pm An “ex biker”? And you want a maxi scoot? That doesn’t make you “ex”!! Riding a scooter you’re still a biker. I’ve owned all sorts of bikes in my riding life ranging from 50cc to 1200. Trials bikes, adventure bikes, tourers, sports bikes et al. And now I’ve alighted on scooters. In reality throughout my clutched bike days I often also supplemented them for a scoot for popping out and really enjoyed them. I ended up with an R1200RT and an old Burgman 400. After suffering a left shoulder injury I found that more than an hour or so of clutch use my shoulder gave me gyp. So, I sold the Beemer and upgraded the Burgman. Never looked back. 5 years old, 21k on the clock. Been to S France a couple of times, toured UK, still used regularly. I’m still a “Biker”. Just because you ride a scooter doesn’t mean you’re not. Don’t fall into that trap. I recommend the Burger 400. Specifically the pre 2016 models as the storage is better if you intend touring and they’re relatively easy to service (if I can you can).
Anyway, welcome to the board “Biker” and enjoy your ride.
Aaaah right, so I'm not going to be a 'scooterist' or anything like that? Lol.
Thanks for the reply though,it's good to know I can still call myself a biker 👍

Shep63

Post by Shep63 »

Sagalout wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:40 pm 400 burger probably best bang for your buck for 2grand Id try for 2007 on with 30 k on clock but reasonable service history .
Good to hear, I've got a 2004 with 21000 miles at a local dealers to go and have a look at. He's asking £1500 for it,photos look good but they quite often do. I will try to get down and have a look at it tomorrow. 👍

Deleted User 18446

Post by Deleted User 18446 »

They beefed it up 2007 on wards but was still good before that

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

I commuted by scooter for more than 15 years and they are definitely more convenient than ordinary bikes when it comes to bad weather and exposed chain maintenance. Not to mention carrying normal clothes and your lunch! The one essential maintenance item is replacement of the drive belt at correct intervals, otherwise it will definitely shred itself at the most inconvenient time. Scooter rear tyres also seem to have a hard life, they wear out quicker and are more prone to punctures in my experience. There are enough Suzuki owners on this forum to give you a good idea about their good points. I didn't have any long term experience with the Burgman myself but I did find the Kymcos reliable and good value.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Rocketman122
Current Ride: eee

Post by Rocketman122 »

I would try for anything past the 2007 burgman. the clutch was reworked from 2008 with 5 pads.

Shep63

Post by Shep63 »

I've seen a 2004 burgman for £1495 with good service history but no receipts or paperwork saying what work has been done. It's got all the old MOT's but there is no history of the belt being changed. It's got 20,000 miles on it and has a few marks on it, scuffs on bodywork and a bit of a ding on the clutch cover, I'm very tempted to go for it.

Shep63

Post by Shep63 »