Hi from Redditch

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
iansoady
Current Ride: X-Max 250 + Norton ES2

Hi from Redditch

Post by iansoady »

Been riding for 50+ years, had a wide range of bikes and currently ride a 1952 Norton ES2 which I restored a couple of years ago. Getting to be a struggle getting aboard so am thinking about an older maxi-scoot - my thoughts are turning towards an Xmax 250, Honda Forza or possible Kawasaki J300.

I've just rebulilt a Francis-Barnett Cruiser 75 but it's even worse to get on than the Norton so it will have to go. A swap for one of the above would be nice....

Details here: http://www.iansoady.org.uk/FB/specifica ... ation.html

Deleted User 18446

Re: Hi from Redditch

Post by Deleted User 18446 »

Welcome I worked on Redditch police station and Courts when was built years ago .Heating and hot and cold water services.

Deleted User 18472

Post by Deleted User 18472 »

Hello & Welcome.

dogwheel
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by dogwheel »

'morning Ian,
Good to meet you here on this friendly forum. I'm from Tenbury, in the same County as you.
I guess, similar reasons to you my main ride is an elderly (05) Burgman 400, which I love, to the extent that if it got stolen,written off or blown up, I'd go straight out and buy another.
I could not make your FB link work.
Kind Regards,
Robin.

iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Hi Robion. Sorry about the link - this is correct: http://www.iansoady.org.uk/FB/specification.html

dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

Ian, that looks lovely, nicer than my similarly "engined" James K12 Colonel, looks like we followed similar routes regarding the ignition system with a DC coil.
Robin.

iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I may be doing a swap with a Xmax 250 from a dealer. I won't get as much as I would like for the little FB but it would save the hassle of advertising, dealing with idiots and getting furious......

This one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164909692250 ... Sw4bdgmmW0

I am a bit dubious about a big gap in the MoT history from 2016 - 2020 and only a few miles since when presumably the bike was off the road so need to check that with the dealer. Anything else I should be looking for? I have asked about when / if the drive belt has been changed.

dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

Take your time, take your pick!
How do you value your FB?
250 might be OK but all these "Maxi Scoots" are a bit heavy and a 400 or bigger obviosly has more grunt.

iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Yes, I have thought about size but have the Norton when I feel the need for a bit more urge. My use is likely to be fairly gentle - little dual carriageway and no motorway - but rather A and B roads and country lanes.

I've always been a bit impulsive and once I've decided something go for it regardless which is how I ended up with the Cruiser having owned a Plover as my first bike many years ago. Buying this one was probably not my best decision but I have enjoyed the rebuild. I am a serial restorer and the majority over the last 15 years have broken even in terms of costs (not my time of course) and a couple even showed a profit! However I really hate the process of selling.

iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Well, gone for the one at Arden Motorcycles which was a bit better than the one above. I got less than I would have liked for the FB - don't we always - but it saved all the messing about so I'm happy. The swap was done this morning so am looking forward to getting out on the V-max. It may be a little while as my hip is still giving me grief....

https://ardenmotorcycles.co.uk/used-bik ... x-max-250/