Hi From Spain

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Eskam
Current Ride: X-Max 250

Hi From Spain

Post by Eskam »

Moved out here to Spain full time at the end of last year, and am now resident.

Owned 11 bikes in the UK, but as getting them here and then having to get them registered, pay the taxes and then insure them all individually (there are no multibike policies available here), was just too expensive, so sold them all.

I live out in the country, so bought an Enfield Himalayan, as there are thousands of kms of gravel roads to ride which start at my front door.

I then bought a Speed Triple from my mate here (who gave up biking) for a decent price. This great on the twisty and well surfaced roads here, but is uncomfortable for longer journies. I do at least two long rides each year, one to Czechia and the other to and around the Balkans.

So found a cheap (unusual for here) but immaculate Honda Deauville 650. Built in panniers and a big topbox means I can get all my clothes for a four week tour, and not worry about having a stuffa bag bungee'd to the rear seat. I've done a few 600km rides on it, and comfort is excellent.

But I had nothing really for nipping into town (a 16km round trip). Nothing I can just jump on and go. A visit to the Enfield dealer this morning found a 2007 X-Max 250 languishing there. Cheap because its old, and has been dropped at low speed judging by the few scratches on it, some that I know will polish out. It has been in the back of the shop for a while, but before it was parked up, it had new Michelin tyres fitted, a new original Yamaha belt and rollers, and a service. It has only covered 50 kms since then. Great price (a bl**dy fantasticly low price for Spain), plus they will be deliver it to my house.

Read a lot of reports on these before buying. From what I read, they seem to show them to be reliable, but a bit dull (like the Deauville?). It will suit my requirements perfectly.

I've had scooters before in the UK-an Aprilia Leonardo 250 (Yamaha engine) that I commuted through one winter on, covering 10,000 miles in those six months before selling. Later I bought a Yamaha Vity 125 primarily for local journies, although I did ride it down the Czech Repulic and back (never again!). And finally, a £600 Piaggio X-Evo 400 that I commuted on for two years (covering some 40,000 miles) until I retired. Great scooter, 90 mpg and 100mph acheivable (not at the same time), only replaced the belt and rollers and regular oil changes. Sold to a colleague who has a shorter commute than me, but he had put 5000 miles on it until Covid meant him working from home.

X-Max gets delivered later this week/early next week, as there is the change of ownership papers to be sorted (no changing the details on line here like you can do with the DVLA).

Looking forward to the convienience of having a maxi scooter, and all that underseat storage, once more.

Will add some photos once it is delivered if anyone is interested.
Two wheels good, four wheels not so.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: Hi From Spain

Post by Waldorf »

Welcome!
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Welcome. :)

Eskam

Post by Eskam »

Thanks.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Eskam wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23 am I've had scooters before in the UK-an Aprilia Leonardo 250 (Yamaha engine) that I commuted through one winter on, covering 10,000 miles in those six months before selling.
Mottza had one of those, also Loonymoon, our previous moderator. They were quite quick and nippy as I recall. 8-)

Eskam wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23 am
X-Max gets delivered later this week/early next week, as there is the change of ownership papers to be sorted (no changing the details on line here like you can do with the DVLA).

Looking forward to the convienience of having a maxi scooter, and all that underseat storage, once more.

Will add some photos once it is delivered if anyone is interested.
We are always interested in pictures. Show us your new scooter and where it lives, please. 8-)

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Welcome. I’ve owned two Deauvilles in the past and found them far from boring. Like you the practicality of the bike and the storage coupled to easy maintenance makes them ideal for longer trips. Not owned an Xmax but hear they’re very good scoots. All the best and keep us posted.

Deleted User 18472

Post by Deleted User 18472 »

Hello & Welcome.

Eskam

Post by Eskam »

Thanks all for the welcome.

Here is my X-Max, although still waiting for delivery, as the change of ownership here if FAR more complicated (you have to privide proof of ID and address) and you have to pay for it (€55.15 fee plus the annual municiple tax of about €18). None of this doing it online in 30 seconds. You din't realise how much you would miss that

Anyway, here's a couple of photos of it.

Tmax
Current Ride: Tmax

Post by Tmax »

Hi Eskam,
Don’t worry, I’m sure the Spanish weather will make it up for you compare to UK.
Enjoy the sunshine and dry roads.

Greetings from Australia 🇦🇺 🤙