Hi

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
plexuk
Current Ride: 2014 Suzuki Burgman 400

Hi

Post by plexuk »

Hi everyone
newbie to this forum from Scotland. bought myself a 2014 Burgman 400 last August and march this year the nut came of the variator icon_bang_head.gif thought that was it rip.png] but persevered & slowly bought all the bits to replace those that were damaged & put it into Agra Dundee (not cheap) to re - thread shaft & make a custom nut so now able to torque nut fully. almost there as didn't notice bearing in 2nd hand alloy cover was toast so waiting on new bearing and then should be back on the road rasta_.gif . So far replaced rollers and slides, fixed variator, belt, alloy cover, plastic cover and plastic snorkel and paid for repair to shaft & new custom full size nut (covers all the thread on shaft so no silly suzuki half nut). New plastic cover doesn't come with any foam so priced this & to buy all the bits comes to nearly another £100 icon_8-O.gif in two minds about buying them or just not bothering as a lot of cash for half a dozen bits of foam, are they gold plated or something, Suzuki are taking the P*SS. Any way happy to be a member :-D

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: Hi

Post by Dave Weller »

You need to settle the varidrive halves when tightening the nut, just spin it on the starter so the belt gets out of the way. I have an electric impact wrench which is preset to 70+ lbs for tightening, ideal for the job.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

plexuk

Post by plexuk »

Yep I made sure I did that so belt not pinched it was the previous owner who either did not torque the nut properly or pinched belt when he tightened things up, nearly back together just waiting on bearing for transmission cover then test drive & check nut (have marked it so I can see if there is any movement) will check it regularly until I am sure it isn't going to move

plexuk

Post by plexuk »

Update on scooter repair - After about 100 miles & checked the nut (I had marked it so I could check for any movement) & all is good no movement at all, so so super happy. I haven't use it much due to covid & working from home but it's now about 500 miles & over 5 months since repair & still no movement. So I would recommend this route if anyone else has the same issue - I have added some picture of a standard nut & my custom nut & pictures of finished repair 👍👌I did try 2 normal nuts 2nd nut to act as a lock nut but due to the damage on the thread nearest the engine I couldn't get the nuts to torque up 😢
Standard half nut:-
Picture of standard nut - you can see threads on shaft:-

Custom nut:-

Custom nut fitted - no threads showing:-

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Hopefully that's sorted it. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Deleted User 18472