HONDA CN250 HELIX PARTS NEEDED...PLEEEEASE

Need a part for your bike? Ask in here....
Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

Re: HONDA CN250 HELIX PARTS NEEDED...PLEEEEASE

Post by Pandrop »

capitano wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:29 am
Jaz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:54 pm Don't bother about getting a magnetic sump plug though, only tiresome old weirdo Stalker types fit those ;)
Alternatively if you are a "tiresome old weirdo Stalker type" and don't want anyone to know, you could buy a strong magnet, the size of a 10p coin from Amazon and stick it to your mild steel sump plug. :lol: 8-)
Am I missing something here re: stalkers and sump plugs? :D

Jaz
Current Ride: DN-01 + Fusion + Helix etc

Post by Jaz »

No, there's no rear hugger as standard on the Helix, although - as you say - it could have done with one. A common problem with these old girls is that the crap thrown up by the back wheel rots the reflector and bulb holder out. I've seen them with the bulb soldered to the end of the wires before now!

If you're planning to do a full resto, then maybe consider powder coating that frame? Wouldn't cost you a fortune and will assure the bike's future.
Pandrop wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:13 pm Am I missing something here re: stalkers and sump plugs? :D
Not at all, it's just a reference to someone who was banned from here for being a complete arse (this isn't the first scooter forum he's been booted from either). He and I never saw eye to eye as they say, and we've just seen in another thread that he's been using his wife's account to monitor my posts. You'd think he'd have better things to do with his time, I know. Tragically, he hasn't. The sump plug thing is just a reference to yet another of his ill-informed posts (all now deleted by The Management, sadly). He once owned a Helix for a couple of years, and (wrongly) thought that this made him a world authority on them.
It appears that I have my own personal Stalker...

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: Foresight 250 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Pandrop wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:59 pm
Jimo wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:07 pm My bike while at the repairers having its vibration sorted out is having new F & R HAGON shocks fitted, those currently fitted work ok so if you’d like them they’re yours! Might be a heavy package but we’ll see, I do have the Original HAGON boxes though, just have to find a parcel carrier type chappie...

Regarding magnets fitted to sump plugs - I’d be worried that the heated oil would affect the bonding - unless the magnet was self attaching? I haven’t tried it so caution!

Engine / rear wheel mud protector, a suitable unit could be made by cutting a full size plastics football in half or slightly larger to accommodate mounting....?

Jim
Jim if you are happy to get rid ill happily pay the postage, I can organise a courier type chap to swing by yours and pick them up ! Once the weather picks up ill look at buying a decent set of Hagons but as a quick fix for these completely knackered ones I'll bite your hand off ...in the nicest possible way of course :lol:
You’re welcome.....! Today has been horrible, 3am dear wife fell over waking me, a phone call at 9am from ‘AMAZON’ informed me that £79 had been taken from my account as annual charge for PRIME (after trip to bank found it was a known SCAM to try to get my card details!) then while trying to investigate on phone - the bl..dy dog clawed my leg making me ‘pleased into the bargain’!......(with words to suit).

As soon as I’m informed that the replacement shocks have been fitted I’ll pick up the oldies and let you know by PM.

Jim
'83 Honda CX650E, '83 Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, '98 Honda FES250 Foresight, '92 Honda Helix, 93 Honda Canopy

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jaz wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:24 pm No, there's no rear hugger as standard on the Helix, although - as you say - it could have done with one. A common problem with these old girls is that the crap thrown up by the back wheel rots the reflector and bulb holder out. I've seen them with the bulb soldered to the end of the wires before now!

If you're planning to do a full resto, then maybe consider powder coating that frame? Wouldn't cost you a fortune and will assure the bike's future.
Pandrop wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:13 pm Am I missing something here re: stalkers and sump plugs? :D
Not at all, it's just a reference to someone who was banned from here for being a complete arse (this isn't the first scooter forum he's been booted from either). He and I never saw eye to eye as they say, and we've just seen in another thread that he's been using his wife's account to monitor my posts. You'd think he'd have better things to do with his time, I know. Tragically, he hasn't. The sump plug thing is just a reference to yet another of his ill-informed posts (all now deleted by The Management, sadly). He once owned a Helix for a couple of years, and (wrongly) thought that this made him a world authority on them.
Ahh right gotcha.

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jimo wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:12 pm
Pandrop wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:59 pm
Jimo wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:07 pm My bike while at the repairers having its vibration sorted out is having new F & R HAGON shocks fitted, those currently fitted work ok so if you’d like them they’re yours! Might be a heavy package but we’ll see, I do have the Original HAGON boxes though, just have to find a parcel carrier type chappie...

Regarding magnets fitted to sump plugs - I’d be worried that the heated oil would affect the bonding - unless the magnet was self attaching? I haven’t tried it so caution!

Engine / rear wheel mud protector, a suitable unit could be made by cutting a full size plastics football in half or slightly larger to accommodate mounting....?

Jim
Jim if you are happy to get rid ill happily pay the postage, I can organise a courier type chap to swing by yours and pick them up ! Once the weather picks up ill look at buying a decent set of Hagons but as a quick fix for these completely knackered ones I'll bite your hand off ...in the nicest possible way of course :lol:
You’re welcome.....! Today has been horrible, 3am dear wife fell over waking me, a phone call at 9am from ‘AMAZON’ informed me that £79 had been taken from my account as annual charge for PRIME (after trip to bank found it was a known SCAM to try to get my card details!) then while trying to investigate on phone - the bl..dy dog clawed my leg making me ‘pleased into the bargain’!......(with words to suit).

As soon as I’m informed that the replacement shocks have been fitted I’ll pick up the oldies and let you know by PM.

Jim
Sounds like a busy day Jim ! Hope your wife is ok.
These scam scum are getting very good , my wife got one re: claiming unpaid child allowance and it looked really authentic with all the right logos and font etc , they have certainly moved on from " Dear Friend , I have to find a bank account to put 10 million Ugandan Dollars into for my long lost Uncle and you will get half of it if you send me all your bank details including inside leg measurements " ....You have to be careful these days.

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

The Shocks removed from by bike are in the post to you Andrew - courtesy of UPS - you should receive them soon.

Jim
'83 Honda CX650E, '83 Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, '98 Honda FES250 Foresight, '92 Honda Helix, 93 Honda Canopy

Jimo
Benefactor

Post by Jimo »

Pandrop wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:12 pm
Jaz wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:28 am Additional... I've just read the captions to your photos (as opposed to simply looking at the pictures). The bit you have labelled as 'Rear under-seat plastic splashguard' is actually the bit that goes under the bike's 'nose', directly above the front wheel. If it

The part labelled 'Rear over-wheel plastic mudguard' is also from the front as well; from memory the bit that's bolted round the front forks turns against the semi-circular bit of that panel.
Ah righto, ok well the situation I have is that there is nothing between the rear wheel and the engine bay which has meant that for however long its been that way every spec of road crap has been liberally flung all over the engine bay and baked on , and rotted the frame parts all around the welds and wire clips etc and fusing bolts into their holes for all eternity. The bike has clearly been kept on a farm as there is cooked on crap and straw and feathers and gunk everywhere and it took two large tins of clutch and brake cleaner plus a full bottle of de-greaser before I could see the engine and the associated parts.
The view After cleaning

My first thought was to cut up a big old tractor inner tube and make a rear flap however felt that there must surely be a moulded rear mudguard to protect the engine and assumed that those listed were the correct items.
The heat plate over the exhaust is completely rotten through so the hole left in it has let a load of crud through as well so one of those is on my shopping list too.

Ho Boy! That corrosion on the frame looks serious, ‘ hope it’s not too difficult to repair. The shocks off my bike - which shows 30,000+ miles work ok, I’ve sent them to you - so you’ll receive them on 19th via UPS. Keep up the good work!

Jim

Jaz
Current Ride: DN-01 + Fusion + Helix etc

Post by Jaz »

On the plus side, the rear subframe isn't structural. but I'd be surprised if it's been seriously compromised by the rust once it's cleaned up. If it really is in a bad way, then remind me as I may have a spare one stashed.
It appears that I have my own personal Stalker...

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jimo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:25 am
Pandrop wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:12 pm
Jaz wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:28 am Additional... I've just read the captions to your photos (as opposed to simply looking at the pictures). The bit you have labelled as 'Rear under-seat plastic splashguard' is actually the bit that goes under the bike's 'nose', directly above the front wheel. If it

The part labelled 'Rear over-wheel plastic mudguard' is also from the front as well; from memory the bit that's bolted round the front forks turns against the semi-circular bit of that panel.
Ah righto, ok well the situation I have is that there is nothing between the rear wheel and the engine bay which has meant that for however long its been that way every spec of road crap has been liberally flung all over the engine bay and baked on , and rotted the frame parts all around the welds and wire clips etc and fusing bolts into their holes for all eternity. The bike has clearly been kept on a farm as there is cooked on crap and straw and feathers and gunk everywhere and it took two large tins of clutch and brake cleaner plus a full bottle of de-greaser before I could see the engine and the associated parts.
The view After cleaning

My first thought was to cut up a big old tractor inner tube and make a rear flap however felt that there must surely be a moulded rear mudguard to protect the engine and assumed that those listed were the correct items.
The heat plate over the exhaust is completely rotten through so the hole left in it has let a load of crud through as well so one of those is on my shopping list too.

Ho Boy! That corrosion on the frame looks serious, ‘ hope it’s not too difficult to repair. The shocks off my bike - which shows 30,000+ miles work ok, I’ve sent them to you - so you’ll receive them on 19th via UPS. Keep up the good work!

Jim
Many thanks Jim, you are a Legend :)

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jaz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:31 pm On the plus side, the rear subframe isn't structural. but I'd be surprised if it's been seriously compromised by the rust once it's cleaned up. If it really is in a bad way, then remind me as I may have a spare one stashed.
Cheers Jaz, very kind. Ive stripped it back to bare and Hammerited it and I reckon it should be good , but many thanks for the offer, Ill have to PM you and get that part paid for .
Many thanks
Andrew