HONDA CN250 HELIX PARTS NEEDED...PLEEEEASE

Need a part for your bike? Ask in here....
Pandrop
Benefactor
Current Ride: Bonneville_Fireblade_Helix

HONDA CN250 HELIX PARTS NEEDED...PLEEEEASE

Post by Pandrop »

Hi All, some of you are aware that I have been re-building a Honda Helix and with help and advice aplenty especially from Jim and Jaz however I have run into a spare parts vacuum due to the rarity of the model here in the UK ..... I have had a couple of offers of parts from members who have bits kicking around so i'll list the bits here and if anyone has any used items that they can let go of / glad to get rid of I will be happy to buy these parts.

Rear under-seat plastic splashguard

Rear steel skid plate/ belly pan

Rear over-wheel plastic mudguard

Rear suspension units - used but still with life left in them is fine as the ones on this scooter are completely shot :roll:

Any other spares /boxes of bits/ etc gratefully recieved- even if you think it couldnt be of any use to anyone ...it may well be to me :lol:

Cheers

Jaz
Current Ride: DN-01 + Fusion + Helix etc

Re: HONDA CN250 HELIX PARTS NEEDED...PLEEEEASE

Post by Jaz »

Pretty sure I have a belly pan kicking around... possibly others. Will look tomorrow and let you know.

As far as suspension goes, any S/H Honda units you find now will be as knackered as yours! Hagons are the best you can buy for the Helix and, in the world of aftermarket shocks, really not that expensive. Don't be tempted by Chinese eBay ones - they last a year tops before ending up soggier than 25 YO Honda items. I had a set off a clone I broke; they had 2000km on them and looked good, and they were OK... but not for long.

Don't bother about getting a magnetic sump plug though, only tiresome old weirdo Stalker types fit those ;)
It appears that I have my own personal Stalker...

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Jaz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:54 pm Don't bother about getting a magnetic sump plug though, only tiresome old weirdo Stalker types fit those ;)
Alternatively if you are a "tiresome old weirdo Stalker type" and don't want anyone to know, you could buy a strong magnet, the size of a 10p coin from Amazon and stick it to your mild steel sump plug. :lol: 8-)

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

PS: That's a CR2032 battery cell, not a magnet, but you get my drift .. :lol:

PPS: I don't actually fit magnets on my sump plugs, but I have seen it done. 8-)

Jaz

Post by Jaz »

capitano wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:41 am PS: That's a CR2032 battery cell, not a magnet, but you get my drift .. :lol:
An electric sump plug... it could catch on! We just need someone to write us some flowery marketing prose about how it'll make your bike faster, make you more attractive to the sex of your choice, get another 10mpg, help you avoid weirdo internet Stalkers etc. This time next year we'll be millionaires :lol:

Anyway... Helix parts. I've had a root through this morning and sadly the only thing I have from your list is the bellypan. It's a decent one, though, there is surface rust on the exposed side but nothing that a good wire brush and a lick of paint (better yet, I got the one on my Fusion powder coated) wouldn't see right:

I've got nothing decent to post it in, though, but I don't think you're far from me? Anyway, it's yours for a tenner if you can pick it up.

Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Additional... I've just read the captions to your photos (as opposed to simply looking at the pictures). The bit you have labelled as 'Rear under-seat plastic splashguard' is actually the bit that goes under the bike's 'nose', directly above the front wheel. If it

The part labelled 'Rear over-wheel plastic mudguard' is also from the front as well; from memory the bit that's bolted round the front forks turns against the semi-circular bit of that panel.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: Foresight 250 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

My bike while at the repairers having its vibration sorted out is having new F & R HAGON shocks fitted, those currently fitted work ok so if you’d like them they’re yours! Might be a heavy package but we’ll see, I do have the Original HAGON boxes though, just have to find a parcel carrier type chappie...

Regarding magnets fitted to sump plugs - I’d be worried that the heated oil would affect the bonding - unless the magnet was self attaching? I haven’t tried it so caution!

Engine / rear wheel mud protector, a suitable unit could be made by cutting a full size plastics football in half or slightly larger to accommodate mounting....?

Jim
'83 Honda CX650E, '83 Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, '98 Honda FES250 Foresight, '92 Honda Helix, 93 Honda Canopy

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jaz wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:17 am
capitano wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:41 am PS: That's a CR2032 battery cell, not a magnet, but you get my drift .. :lol:
An electric sump plug... it could catch on! We just need someone to write us some flowery marketing prose about how it'll make your bike faster, make you more attractive to the sex of your choice, get another 10mpg, help you avoid weirdo internet Stalkers etc. This time next year we'll be millionaires :lol:

Anyway... Helix parts. I've had a root through this morning and sadly the only thing I have from your list is the bellypan. It's a decent one, though, there is surface rust on the exposed side but nothing that a good wire brush and a lick of paint (better yet, I got the one on my Fusion powder coated) wouldn't see right:

I've got nothing decent to post it in, though, but I don't think you're far from me? Anyway, it's yours for a tenner if you can pick it up.
Sold to the man with Helix parts all over his Garage ! :) No worries re: collectinig I can drive anywhere to pick up parts , many thanks :D

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jimo wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:07 pm My bike while at the repairers having its vibration sorted out is having new F & R HAGON shocks fitted, those currently fitted work ok so if you’d like them they’re yours! Might be a heavy package but we’ll see, I do have the Original HAGON boxes though, just have to find a parcel carrier type chappie...

Regarding magnets fitted to sump plugs - I’d be worried that the heated oil would affect the bonding - unless the magnet was self attaching? I haven’t tried it so caution!

Engine / rear wheel mud protector, a suitable unit could be made by cutting a full size plastics football in half or slightly larger to accommodate mounting....?

Jim
Jim if you are happy to get rid ill happily pay the postage, I can organise a courier type chap to swing by yours and pick them up ! Once the weather picks up ill look at buying a decent set of Hagons but as a quick fix for these completely knackered ones I'll bite your hand off ...in the nicest possible way of course :lol:

Pandrop
Benefactor

Post by Pandrop »

Jaz wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:28 am Additional... I've just read the captions to your photos (as opposed to simply looking at the pictures). The bit you have labelled as 'Rear under-seat plastic splashguard' is actually the bit that goes under the bike's 'nose', directly above the front wheel. If it

The part labelled 'Rear over-wheel plastic mudguard' is also from the front as well; from memory the bit that's bolted round the front forks turns against the semi-circular bit of that panel.
Ah righto, ok well the situation I have is that there is nothing between the rear wheel and the engine bay which has meant that for however long its been that way every spec of road crap has been liberally flung all over the engine bay and baked on , and rotted the frame parts all around the welds and wire clips etc and fusing bolts into their holes for all eternity. The bike has clearly been kept on a farm as there is cooked on crap and straw and feathers and gunk everywhere and it took two large tins of clutch and brake cleaner plus a full bottle of de-greaser before I could see the engine and the associated parts.
The view After cleaning

My first thought was to cut up a big old tractor inner tube and make a rear flap however felt that there must surely be a moulded rear mudguard to protect the engine and assumed that those listed were the correct items.
The heat plate over the exhaust is completely rotten through so the hole left in it has let a load of crud through as well so one of those is on my shopping list too.