Zero DSR Electric Motorcycle

Chat about any motorbike here.
hatter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH 300

Re: Zero DSR Electric Motorcycle

Post by hatter »

Tidal power is the way to go in areas like Swansea Bay, Morcambe Bay etc. We are an island and are spoilt for choice.
Capital cost is huge but it's as reliable as the tide (unlike wind),out of sight so appeases the nimbly brigade and safe..
Our National Grid has masssive cable interconnecters between the UK and parts of Europe to import electricity when we cannot generate enough of our own (sometimes export it too)
As said initial cost is huge but worth it as said to last 120 years before any more major costs.

Hatter

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Why does domestic power have to be 240V AC, if we go to DC power supply, storage is easy? Does anything need AC these days.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Dogsbody
Current Ride: Burgman 400 Honda C125 400-4

Post by Dogsbody »

Suggest you look at this
http://gridwatch.co.uk/
some days wind generation is almost nothing, only 6% this morning, no solar at night or cloudy winter days when you need it most. we are reliant on Russian gas and French nuclear. We needed to have kept the coal fired stations as back up for when Boris upsets Putin and he turns it off. Dogsbody

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Solar will be high today. Producing 25%.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

:mrgreen:
Dave Weller wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:57 am Why does domestic power have to be 240V AC, if we go to DC power supply, storage is easy? Does anything need AC these days.
With the growth of LED lighting, DC light circuits are a logical progression. It's daft to continue with 230v AC for light circuits when every fitting has to have a DC driver.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

But DC drops over distance.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Dogsbody

Post by Dogsbody »

5pm solar is 13%, gas 40%, wind 10%. Very little demand for lighting, heating and cooking in the middle of a summers day. No solar later this evening as demand rises, until there is a way of storing or cabling it from Africa it really does not make sense. Dogsbody

Dogsbody

Post by Dogsbody »

Capitano, there is nothing to stop you using 12v LED lighting, 12v TV, satellite box, DVD player, a battery or two and a solar panel, after all that is what my motorhome uses. There are people who live off grid who do exactly that, including fridges btw. Dogsbody

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

Dogsbody wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:31 pm Capitano, there is nothing to stop you using 12v LED lighting, 12v TV, satellite box, DVD player, a battery or two and a solar panel, after all that is what my motorhome uses. There are people who live off grid who do exactly that, including fridges btw. Dogsbody
There is when you are a registered electrician whose livelihood depends upon meeting current regulations. :lol:

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

mottza wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:07 am But DC drops over distance.

We're not talking major loads, Chris. You would be considering less than 200W for most houses and not re- using the 1sqmm t&e we use for 230v AC lighting at present.

I'm talking about when DC lighting circuits get into the IEE regulations for domestic dwellings. It's coming, there's no doubt about that, but the 18th edition came in this year, and they generally have a 10 year lifespan.

I'm 56, I may not even bother getting qualified to the 19th when it's introduced, so I may not even get to install DC lighting circuits myself.