IP blocked

Read the rules & latest site announcements or suggest an idea for the forums
Red Dog
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400z

IP blocked

Post by Red Dog »

Hi, I wonder if you can help.

As if this morning when I try to post I get a message saying my IP address has been blocked by something called Spamhous.

I can still post using my phone data but not using my home WiFi

roadster
Current Ride: Kymco AK550

Re: IP blocked

Post by roadster »

The first thing to do is find out what your public facing IP address currently is. You can either log in to your router and read the status information or you can go to a site such as http://wq.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois.pl which will give it to you at the top of the page. Having noted this try restarting your router to see if you get a different address allocated by your service provider. If so you shouldn't have any further problem. If you can't get a different IP from your service provider you might have to get the address removed from the blocked list by using the Spamhous web site ( assuming there is one). It is possible that your computer has actually been used to generate or forward spam emails by some rogue program or virus so make sure your security is up to date.
Located on UK South Coast
Rides Kymco AK550 previously Kymco Downtown 300i ABS and Triumph Street Twin.

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Thank you for that.

I've tried resetting the router but no joy. I've been to the Spamhaus website and the procedure for unblocking is too complex for me. It also wants me to provide information and change settings. I don't fancy doing that.

My security is fine as far as I can tell and I can access everything else web based. I guess I'll just turn the WiFi off when I need to post here.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

PM one of the admins with your IP address. We can check that you haven't been caught up in a blanket ban of Crimean phishing scammers or similar.

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Done.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

No IPs are banned, we only ban by email address.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

roadster
Current Ride: Kymco AK550

Post by roadster »

Red Dog wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:27 am Thank you for that.

I've tried resetting the router but no joy. I've been to the Spamhaus website and the procedure for unblocking is too complex for me. It also wants me to provide information and change settings. I don't fancy doing that.

My security is fine as far as I can tell and I can access everything else web based. I guess I'll just turn the WiFi off when I need to post here.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.
Your wise not to assume that Spamhous is genuine if they are trying to get information from you.
Located on UK South Coast
Rides Kymco AK550 previously Kymco Downtown 300i ABS and Triumph Street Twin.

wightegi
Current Ride: XEVO250IE Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

Spamhaus is genuine if you go to their links it will tell you which IP is blocked and on which lists, some you can remove easily others take a bit more time, but rebooting the router is a good first move. I had the same problem on the C90 forum (Ged can see the info in the admin section) ;) turns out my ip was not on a list, my service provider had a direct line to them and are interested to know if I have any more trouble so they can try to find a solution.
Spamhaus is nothing to do with this forum and only affects a members IP and maybe only one forum, I could not post on the C90 board but was ok on this, and others .

wightegi
Current Ride: XEVO250IE Honda C90

Post by wightegi »

Did you resolve this ?.

Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

wightegi wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 am Did you resolve this ?
I'm afraid not. I followed the instructions on the Spamhaus site and they told me to disable some things but also warned me against disabling them if I didn't know what I was doing.