Got my test ride on a 400 Burgman...Whoopeeeeee!!!.........

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Re: Got my test ride on a 400 Burgman...Whoopeeeeee!!!......

Post by barryG »

I dont know whats happening with Suzuki, when I ordered my 400 the site listed white, black and a burgundy but when the salesman looked at what was in stock it was all Grey. So he phoned and asked and they said only grey!

They guy at the NEC said the Z would only be available in the moonstone blue.

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

I think Suzuki UK uploaded their new 2012 400 colours too early on the web site and as we know only Grey in the 400 and 650 were available in 2011. However when I ordered my 650 the dealer had a 650 white just delivered but it was never advertised as available in the UK, so maybe a European colour? He just got a phone call asking if he wanted it. I know the USA has white 650s but it would be a different spec for our market?. Maybe from a cancelled special order like the AA etc?

The 400Z as you say is only shown available as Moonstone Blue in the pics. The 2012 standard 400 is still advertised on-line but as you say with the 3 new colours, but not shown in the 2012 book!
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Post by macamxthe1st »

I see the clutch issue is starting to raise its head in this thread. Let me first say that I bought a white ZALO in 2010 and it was absolutely marvelous and great value relative to the std. model, unfortunately, this one suffered very badly from "clutch grab". As this was the 3rd Burgman that I had owned I new what to expect as the previous bikes had been exemplary in this area. With regard to running in I always ride as "normal" only making sure that I avoid prolonged duration high load operation. This has served me well with 39 new bike over 43 years. The issue I believe is due to an unfortunate and relatively rare match of component tolerance extreams . I totally lost patients with mine after six months and sold it swearing never to buy another only to find a few months later that I missed having a Burgman so much that I bought a used std. 2010 which I test rode to check all was ok with the clutch, which it was. I regret not really taking Suzuki to task and getting it sorted so my point is. The ZA is a stonking buy and I believe the the chances of getting one with the clutch issue is remote. However should you experience any difficultly then dont take "they all do that ,Sir" for an answer. I will stick with my 2010 till the new model arrives then wait one year to ensure there are no issues before changing.

Geoff.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Hi Mac, thanks for your post about your experience with your last bike. I have spoken at length with a couple of Suzuki techs about this clutch thingy as I did read about the issues that can arise. It's unfortunate that yours was a bit bad and I can see how that does put you off a bike. Glad you are now back in the fold though. I've heard that cvt in general on many bikes can develop a bit of a judder and have heard of Vespa's too with the issue. My tech chaps that I spoke to are of the opinion that at service time, if you from time to time clean out the clutch housing on the Burgman and use a reasonable amount of revs when moving off then you won't have any problems. However, they did say that the design has been improved now and the 'judder' is much less likely and not an issue with the Burgman 400 if maintained correctly. I'm expecting the odd squeal from time to time and maybe a judder once in a while, but time will tell I guess. The 12k K9 that I took out for a spin prior to making the decision to buy was fine and it wasn't particularly well cared for and needed a service desparately. It went well with no judder and a nice smooth take up. Maybe your old bike with the big clutch problem had more than just the standard Burgman cvt issue. What a shame. I take it your current Burgman is fine in the clutch department?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Post by macamxthe1st »

Yes current bike is absolutely fine and as I said previously I wish I had got the AZ sorted as it was much better than the price premium would suggest. Good luck with yours.

Geoff.