Got my test ride on a 400 Burgman...Whoopeeeeee!!!.........

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Got my test ride on a 400 Burgman...Whoopeeeeee!!!.........

Post by Data »

Hi Everyone, sorry if I seem a bit excited but can't help it. Just been for a test ride on a previously loved 400. It was an '09' standard model with 12,000 miles on the clock. I'm negotiating with a dealer to maybe buy one of the new 400Z ABS models but he didn't have a new demo model for me to try so I went out on the secondhand one.

I'm a biker, I've never owned or really ridden a scooter. Currently, I have a Vstrom 1000cc which is pretty heavy, but big on performance etc etc, nice bike but it's time for a change. My back says so! On the test ride of the Burgman I had some real fun. I confess I didn't really know what to expect in terms of performance or handling. To begin with I found it very low to the ground compared to my Vstrom and I was sitting in it rather than on it. I'm 6.1" with long legs but there was plenty of room for me, and the bike provided good weather protection throughout the test. At the lights and junctions where a stop was required, I found it strange at first stretching my legs out and down and more forward than on my strom. After moving off pulling a leg back onboard felt equally awkward and strange with me 'kicking' the tupperware gently with the inside of my boot for the first two or three times. I also wobbled embarrassingly for the first two or three miles when going slowly at 25-30mph. My brain soon adjusted (yes, I still have one...just!) and I soon started to make the rider inputs necessary for a good wobble free ride. Part of this was the lack of weight compared to my bigger Suzuki's. The Burgman felt quite light at times, even though it actually isn't that light, it just holds it lower down of course.

The bike had plenty of power for a 400 and it soon wisked me off down the road and into town. I wanted to try out the bikes stop start abilities in traffic and fling it round some roundabouts and junctions before heading out onto the open road. I've never tried an auto before and it was indeed interesting and actually quite relaxing too. The drive take up was super smooth and quiet making town driving easy. Accelerating onto roundabouts and out of junctions was a doddle too. But it was on the dual carriageway that the bike really showed it's metal. I took a handful of throttle and I'm ashamed to say it easily climbed to an indicated 92mph on a private bit of the dual carriageway. It wasn't my intention to go that fast but I was so taken in by the smoothness of the ride that I just didn't notice the speed. Bad I know! Brakes, yes they worked fine and I found the linked system to my liking. Plenty of feel and stopping power.

In all, you guys are enjoying one hell of a machine. I see why you all love them so much. Watch this space...I'll probably be placing an order if I can get the right price on a deal with my dealer. Any other comments you guys or girls can make about any aspect of your bikes will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Re: Got my test ride on a 400 Burgman...Woopeeeeee!!!.......

Post by Liam »

Glad you enjoyed the ride. Now you just need to take the plunge and buy one!
I've not been on a Burger but what I've seen they are very capable machines, and I'd be tempted more by the 400 than a 650

Just get used to the fact that some bikers will blank you and some get annoyed if you dare overtake them!
Scooters are great fun, if you're an annoying sod like me! :D

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Glad you enjoyed the Burger!.
Scoot can be a real laugh, just at a lower speed than you may have been use too!.

May i (like Liam) welcome you to our world of invisibility! :lol:

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Hi Liam, yep noticed today when several bikers just blanked me. Now I just know that doesn't happen when I'm on the Strom! :o The Burgman certainly surprised me, and I think it would most bikers if they rode one. Bet they wouldn't blank a Burger anymore if they did.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Clive wrote:Glad you enjoyed the Burger!.
Scoot can be a real laugh, just at a lower speed than you may have been use too!.

May i (like Liam) welcome you to our world of invisibility! :lol:

You mean....I have to go slow??? :lol: :lol: Thanks for the welcome you two, lets speak lots! :-D

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Go slow!!! :o dont think we do slow....well maybe just once in a while!

Me and Liam have our brain out moments!...................sometimes they last for mile after mile after mile! :lol:

Or even across countries! :lol:

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Liam wrote:...
I've not been on a Burger but what I've seen they are very capable machines, and I'd be tempted more by the 400 than a 650...
D
I think 400cc is a good size for a big scoot, being fast enough for motorways (2 up included) and still economical. I still want more though :twisted: But I don't need more.

Data
Benefactor

Re: Got my test ride on a 400 Burgman...Whoopeeeeee!!!......

Post by Data »

I've got too much at the moment even with the Vstrom. My last bike was a GSX1400cc and sprinted from 0-62mph in 2.57 seconds! Great, but just don't need that anymore. Feel as though I've been there and done that and now I just want a common sense but fun machine! Mind you, I've never really had any common sense according to my wife!! But seriously, several dealers have commented that a lot of motorcyclists who ride big bikes are swapping them for Burgmans or Tmaxs or Piaggios of several flavours. Must be the common sense bug has spread!

mightbesane
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K4

Post by mightbesane »

I'm a former motorcyclist who has moved to scooters and I don't care how bikers react. But most are cool with it. I stopped at an ice cream stand last summer and parked next to a real rat bike ridden by a real rat biker. I was on a Chinese 150 at the time. Joking with him, I said, "I hope that you don't mind my little pipsqueak parked next to your ride." His answer was, "We're both on two wheels. F**k the rest of 'em." I liked that attitude.
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. ~Frank ZappaImage

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

Glad you liked the Burger it is a great maxi with good storage and weather protection and fast enough for our roads these days.
I have dipped my toe in the water and I'm sure I'll be back there in the not too distant future. Good luck with it. Oh and I always nod or wave to scoots too even chicken chasers.
icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.