Got my test ride on a 400 Burgman...Whoopeeeeee!!!.........

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Got my test ride on a 400 Burgman...Whoopeeeeee!!!......

Post by Data »

Hello 1958, Wow...you must be hooked then if you have ordered another one. Good on yer!

Well, I have some news to report. I went to my Suzuki dealer today and thrashed out a deal to get my clammy hands on a new 400Z model! I got some small amount of extra money added to the price offered for my Vstrom which for me made the deal. So, 1st March should be the day I can pick up a nice new shiney Burgman. Whoopee and double Whoopee.....!!!! icon_spin-on-head.gif icon_wink-.gif Can't wait!

Is your new one going to be a 400Z? Either way I found it difficult to decide which model to go for...standard model, or the Z? I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure, maybe! I dunno.

I'm looking forward to not having to bother with that gear change thing, and getting used to the whole scooter thingy. Different riding position, even putting your feet down feels different due to lower seat height. My strom is 860mm seat height, compared to 710mm for the Burgmand of course. One thing I found on the test run which did surprise me was the way you could hurl the Burgman round the bends and it did it with aplomb. Bumpy bits in the road didn't really seem to upset it to any degree either. So I'm really looking forward to having some fun in the coming weeks learning all about it.

Speak again soon, bye for now. ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Nice one Data, as its the Z model does that mean its in the sort of pearly bluey/grey colour?

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yes it is Barry. It's sort of dark silvery grey which fades to black on the front leg shields as it joins the black under panel each side of the bike. It has the black wheels too. On the whole I think it looks great and the finish very robust. I saw my first 400Z today in the flesh. It was not as bluey as I had envisaged, but the way the light hits it may influence that I guess. It was under artificial light in the showroom today. But it was a good looker and I think will surprise quite a few people.

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

They had one at the NEC, looked gorgeous but I didnt like the black wheels. Youll love it, and remember to up that suspension setting and dont be too gentle with the clutch when running in!

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I am indeed going for the 400Z model. I never had ABS or heated grips before I got the SH and now I can't do without either! And the 400Z has both plus handguards and passenger backrest. An extra £485 over the standard Burger but worth it I think. I'm going for the black. My last one was black and I think it sets off the chrome bits nicely.
Yes I am hooked by the way. I love 'em.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

barryG wrote:They had one at the NEC, looked gorgeous but I didnt like the black wheels. Youll love it, and remember to up that suspension setting and dont be too gentle with the clutch when running in!
Yes, I'll almost certainly want to up the suspension preload a bit at the rear. I appreciate the advice about the clutch...it seems to make sense to get it to engage fully as soon as possible. My main concern is getting a few hundred miles on it fairly soon so I can get the first service out the way and start to use some of the performance, building up the revs and load etc. I tend to stick with the book method of bedding in an engine, not driving it slowly, not babying it, but not going too hard on it either. Just gradually building up the load and revs as the engine covers more miles. Does the 400 Burgman tend to use much oil during break-in?

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

I covered my first 600 miles in a couple of weeks, and it used a little oil but not much really.... think it was about 250ml? Get it up to 4000rpm for pulling away, anyhthing less and the clutch is slipping and will give you problems. I just ran mine in normally, kept it below 5000rpm for a hundred miles then let it go up to 5500rpm up to the first service and then gradually upped it every 100 miles till 1000 miles then let rip!

Just dont follow Suzukis ridiculous instructions as you wont make 30mph, and will not make many big hills either! And, youll glaze the clutch.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Burgman1958 wrote:I am indeed going for the 400Z model. I never had ABS or heated grips before I got the SH and now I can't do without either! And the 400Z has both plus handguards and passenger backrest. An extra £485 over the standard Burger but worth it I think. I'm going for the black. My last one was black and I think it sets off the chrome bits nicely.
Yes I am hooked by the way. I love 'em.
Yep, the 'Z' is luxurious alright. My current Vstrom has heated grips and handguards. I too couldn't be without them. I ride throughout the year and those little accessories transform your winter riding. On the cost of the 'Z' the sales guy reckons that with the ABS and the other stuff, you get more than double the value for your money (the £485), so near a £1000 benefit from buying the 'Z'. If you tried to spec out a standard model with ABS (don't think you can do that anyway) and buy the other bits it would cost a lot of extra pennys, if you see what I mean. It's actually quite good value, and like you I get mine in March. Have you started trembling with excitment yet? I'm close to doing that. Is that normal?? :lol:

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

The Z wasnt available when I got mine, when I saw the blue at the NEC I was very envious and Id pay the extra just for the colour and heated grips :lol:

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

Burgman1958 wrote: I'm going for the black. My last one was black and I think it sets off the chrome bits nicely.
You say you are going for Black? - According to Suzuki's website and 2012 brochure the new 400Z seems to be only available in one colour? Pearl Moonstone / Glass Sparkle Black (Colour code JEZ on web and YEZ in book, must be a typo on the web as all seem to start with Y), but only classes as one colour code and not actually two separate colours to choose from and no separate pics showing an alternative? Have they confirmed to you that there is a second colour in solid Black?
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8