This 'CVT' & Clutch thingy on the 400...

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

This 'CVT' & Clutch thingy on the 400...

Post by Data »

Bit of an 'inane' question for you experienced Burgman 400 riders (or anyone else who knows!).

So...as a Burgman rider to be I'm trying to get to grips in my head with how the transmission works. I think I'm in the zone with it now, but just one point I want to clarify. When travelling in a 30mph limit, on flat road, will the clutch be 'locked up' or will it be slipping just a tad?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Re: This 'CVT' & Clutch thingy on the 400...

Post by macamxthe1st »

Should be "locked" up with the Variator taking care of the engine revolution/load relationship.

Geoff.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

It doesn't disengage until somewhere below 12 mph (rough guess), you can feel it let go when you roll to a stop without using the brakes.

I think the difference on take-off is that the inertia difference on the driven and non-driven side has to be overcome before the friction can lock everything up. Once you are on the go everything is travelling at the same speed so the friction doesn't have as much work to do to keep everything together. I don't think there is any extra mechanism at work but I am prepared to be corrected by anybody with more knowledge.
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Thanks guys, I felt sure it was as you are both saying. When I test rode a K9, it felt like the clutch disengaged at about 20mph or so but I wasn't really watching the speedo so it could be a lower speed. However, I found it difficult to tell when the clutch had stopped slipping after moving off. Just not used to CVT. But I liked it.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...