Rear Wheel - slight amount of play on 400Z ABS

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Re: Rear Wheel - slight amount of play on 400Z ABS

Post by macamxthe1st »

Data, don't worry about the "Revs" it the load that counts. If you don,t load the engine for very short but gradually increasing duration you will end up "glazing" components. Best way to describe it is just ride it normally without "going for it".

Geoff.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Thanks Mac, yes I'm varying the throttle and load frequently and giving it some work to do without grabbing big handfuls at the moment. Mostly I'm on country roads so I can vary the speed quite a bit too. But best of all the running in process is letting me explore the bike and get used to the automatic transmission and how it works. Since I upped the suspension setting to '4' from '3' it has made just a nice amount of difference for me. I find it like gliding along on a magic carpet but with just that bit of extra firmness and feedback, not that it was soggy before, but you know what I mean I'm sure. On the whole I'm very pleased with the handling, especially over bumpy roads and as a long standing motorcyclist, I can say it's impressive. But you guys already know that. It's much better than I expected on the roads around my way. I checked the wheel play when the bike was hot and it was almost completely gone so I guess some expansion of the drive shaft takes place or something. Thanks to you guys I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about that, but I do like to know everything about my bikes, so it's all good. Covered 90 miles now but I need to get it booked in for the first service as my dealer gets overwhelmed soon after the 1st March with everyone going back early for service.

I'll get pics up soon when I've got a chance. But just can't stop smiling or going out to the garage to keep looking at it....is that normal? Wife thinks I've become a child again...I say I've never stopped being one!!! :o :lol:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Post by macamxthe1st »

" I find it like gliding along on a magic carpet"

I know exactly what you mean. These things perform and handle like they have no dam right to. One thing that really surprised me was that a low center of gravity and long wheelbase normally translates to the front wheel "pushing" under heavy breaking. Not so, I find that I can "howl" the front tyre at will. I run on full preload at max rear pressure which perks up the handling nicely without compromising stability (have given it a good shake flat out, no problem).

Geoff.