Rear Wheel - slight amount of play on 400Z ABS

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Rear Wheel - slight amount of play on 400Z ABS

Post by Data »

As I posted elsewhere on the site, I got the new '12' plate 400 bike today just a day or so ahead of time. It was delivered by my dealer, and a very good job they did too. Prior to putting it away until tomorrow, I noticed a very slight amount of play in the rear wheel. I can hear it clunk slightly if giving it a wiggle as if the wheel bearing/s are not adjusted properly. The amount of movement is so small, but it's there and as i say you can hear it make a noise when you wiggle it. However, I don't think they are adjustable bearing are they? If not, could it be that the wheel is shaft driven and there needs to be the smallest amount of movement on the shaft to allow for expansion of the shaft as it heats up? Anyone else notice this on your bike.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: Rear Wheel - slight amount of play on 400Z ABS

Post by Dave Weller »

I've noticed 'play' in all the auto scoots I've owned from new, Burgman 650, and 2 X9's, the shafts are non ajustable in most cases, all drive trains do need some movement and the auto scoots also have some minimal side movement.
Enjoy the new B400, all this talk of new bikes makes me think of getting one myself, but the burgmans are well made and owners keep them for a long time, the burger grin is with you tomorrow.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Post by macamxthe1st »

The "Play" is normal. Enjoy the new bike and don't "Baby" it. Plenty of load, constantly variable.

Geoff.

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Yes, that play is perfectly normal and a lot less than the play in an Xevo 400. You want to try a Dullville and see how much backlash is in those :lol:

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Thanks guys...in the end I wondered if maybe it might be normal. Nice to have it confirmed.

Just for the record, I'm loving this Burgman. I see what everyone else does now in owning an auto scooter. It's just brilliant! :lol:

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

We need pics :D

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yep...pics will follow. Just managed a meager 25 miles on it today. Have had loads of work in different locations and not had time to explore the bike much. Looking forward to the weekend to put some miles on it and get to know it. Want to get it run in as soon as possible.

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Data, come out and meet us at the 8 ball in a few weeks.

If you're off next Fri, I'm taking the X9 up to Lowestoft as well.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Post by macamxthe1st »

If you ave done 25 miles on it then you must have had it flat (plenty of time to warm it up) what did you get out of it ? :lol:

Geoff.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Mottza, a meet at the 8 Ball sounds good, and I may be able to make that. A run to Lowerstoft would be nice too, but alas, I am working flat out at the moment so Lowestoft isn't viable. Thanks for asking. I'll keep tabs on the 8 Ball.

Mac, I've done 75 miles now. Bit tedious with the rev restrictions at present. Keeping it between 4k-5k, but it still isn't very fast of course. Just got back from my first night run and found the headlights really good on unlight roads. I am going to up the rear suspension a notch tomorrow as well, so may need to raise the high beam just a tad to compensate. It's already just a bit low. Overall, it's going brilliantly and performing just as expected. It sips at the petrol, using almost none at all!! Bet that changes as I start to use more power and revs. But pleased, very pleased. 8-)