Engine loosening nicely!...

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Engine loosening nicely!...

Post by Data »

Well, had the B400 for 3 weeks now. Only covered 520 miles but she's going very very well. No problems. After initially finding the engine very tight, she is now loosening nicely. Today I took her to new heights above 5,000 rpm and 5,500rpm, and she starts to fly but having to be careful (a bit!) so I don't get carried away with the throttle and revs. There is definetely a step up in power above 5k which is very nice. Tomorrow I'll ease her up nearer to 6k, and later beyond that briefly as per the book. She is definitely faster in every way now. First service is next week so I want her to have at least the full 600 miles on the clock. Engine has not used any oil and is managing a continous 69-74mpg and it seems to be improving rather than going down even with me using more power. I don't understand...well, rather I can hardly believe it!

Regarding practicality of the bike, it's just superb (as if you lot need reminding!!) :lol: . I can get my laptop, camera and briefcase, along with some small items of clothing (no don't ask!!) under the seat with ease which makes using the bike around my normal haunts and for work just great. My Vstrom carried these things easily too, but only with the side cases and topbox in place, then try filtering a 1000cc Vstrom with all that luggage. Not easy and you are so concious of that huge width. With the Burgman it's simple and with a better balance to the whole shooting match. One other thing I've noticed. I hardly ever need to put a foot down when commuting in town traffic, the balance on these things is awesome. In fact, general handling and roadholding is quite a surprise as it handles everything so well. I've actually started to enjoy laying it over in bends even on rough roads. No problem there.

So far my motorcycling friends are making very favourable noises about how it looks and sounds, and the initial jokes about it being a hair dryer have errr...dried up! They are now taking it seriously... :o Hope everyone else is finding their Burgmans to be ok. Ride safe everyone.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Re: Engine loosening nicely!...

Post by barryG »

All sounds good, glad you are enjoying your 400. They definately are a fine scooter.

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Post by macamxthe1st »

Just passed 6,000 miles and have noticed a distinct inprovement.

Geoff.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

That's good to hear Mac. It sounds like you are as pleased as me! I really don't regret making the change to a Burgman, it's everything and more than I had expected and hoped for. In particular, I'm pleased at how well the bike accellerates to, and holds 60mph on 'A' and 'B' roads. It seems really smooth too at speed. It doesn't let much slow it down either. And mine is still running in! I need to crank up the rear suspension a bit more now though to tighten things up just a little more. Another great thing is that my back and shoulder injuries no longer plague me even though I ride it every day. That's in direct contrast to when I was riding my 1000cc Vstrom every day. The lower c of g of the B400 makes all the difference along with a marginally lighter weight. Oil is looking very mucky now but the level is fine. Just can't fault the bike. Looking forward to getting it serviced this week.

Mac (or anyone else who wants to comment on this), are you using semi synthetic oil, or have you switched to fully synthetic? I'm thinking I might use the fully synthetic once the engine has at least 3500 miles on it. I can buy it at the same price as semi online (I buy Shell Advanced 10-40 fully synthetic motorcycle oil from Smith & Allan UK with free delivery). I paid £27 all in for 4 litres 3 months ago which is pretty good.

PS. not trying to start an oil thread here! They can go on for ever...but some comments welcome. I've never had one of these engines before.

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

The oil up to first service does get mucky, after the service it stays cleaner for longer. My Suzuki dealer is a skinflint and puts a semi synth in them. Both semi and fully are fine, as mentioned in the book and as the 400 has stupidly low oil change intervals I personally dont see the point of running fully synth.

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Post by macamxthe1st »

barryG wrote:The oil up to first service does get mucky, after the service it stays cleaner for longer. My Suzuki dealer is a skinflint and puts a semi synth in them. Both semi and fully are fine, as mentioned in the book and as the 400 has stupidly low oil change intervals I personally dont see the point of running fully synth.
Spot on.

What I would do however is to put some DPS 18g in as soon as, sharpens things up a treat and makes a better cruiser @ speed.

Geoff.

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

Yes the Doctor Pulleys get great reviews, but Im very happy with the set up it has. Compared to my previous scoot its a rocket off the line ;)

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yep, I may look into the DPS thingy later. There seems to be some advantages from what you guys are saying. My main reason for wanting to maybe switch to fully syn oil is due to the running advantages it can offer, such as the much stronger oil film strength (around 60-70% stronger than semi when hot) and reduced operational friction. It reduces engine wear to as close to zero as is possible without using oil additives. Since fully synthetic oils cost about the same as semi these days (I actually got my fully synthetic for my Vstrom cheaper online than I could buy semi oil for) I may give it a try once my engine has finished bedding in. But I understand you don't have to use a fully syn.