Standard Heated Grips or Grip, as one is just luke warm

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Noggin the Nog
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

Standard Heated Grips or Grip, as one is just luke warm

Post by Noggin the Nog »

On the highest setting the left hand Grip gets really nice and hot, enough to become uncomfortable after a while. Yet the throttle grip is just mildly warm and I find that to get any benefit from it at all, that I have to really grip tightly onto it.
I'm wondering Is this just mine or has anyone else got/had the same problem, I will be reporting it at first service as a defect and see if the dealer can rectify it.
G.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: Standard Heated Grips or Grip, as one is just luke warm

Post by Dave Weller »

One does get hotter than the other, one is directly fitted to the handlebar (steel), the other is fitted to the plastic throttle body so they work at different rates.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

It's the same with mine too, I always put it down to the same reasons given above.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

Ditto and the above explanation seems to bear out as to why.
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

Noggin the Nog
Benefactor

Post by Noggin the Nog »

Dave Weller wrote:One does get hotter than the other, one is directly fitted to the handlebar (steel), the other is fitted to the plastic throttle body so they work at different rates.
Thinking about what you said regarding the insulation effect of the plastic throttle tube, I can see your point. Yet the heated grips on my Triumphs and my BMW were significantly hotter on the throttle grip than the one on the Burgman. :?
The temperature was not particularly cold on Monday but cold enough to warrant the use of the grips, I'd hate to be out doing some serious miles today and relying on these grips to keep my paws warm, one would be burnt and the other permantly clawed shaped from gripping the dam throttle so hard to get some warmth :lol:
G.

Noggin the Nog
Benefactor

Post by Noggin the Nog »

I found that the left grip is very effective with no hand deflectors or mufflers fitted, so effective that it became to hot to be comfortable yet the right was barely warm :cry: and I was wearing HG winter goretex gloves.
I did have the heated seat on and that I thought could have been made a bit warmer with a two heat position variable switch. To be fair, I was only wearing jeans :oops: and Ive got a fat arse :lol:
G.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

I agree with the above explanation. I too have noticed one heated grip can be hotter than the other. My Vstrom had Suzuki OEM neated grips fitted and the left grip was cooler than the right. I was told by the technician that the grips themselves sometimes heat up unevenly and he demonstrated this by turning them on and without a glove on, got me to hold each grip. The cooler grip was actually not really any cooler than the right grip but the main heating effect was happening on the forward face of the grip and not in the palm area. They offered to change them but said it would probably not make any difference as most are like that. My Burgman seems to have a set that are heating evenly this time.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

My old Deauvilles grips both heated up the same and were great.

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

barryG wrote:My old Deauvilles grips both heated up the same and were great.
Shame about the rest of the bike eh ;)

I'm a total convert to heated gloves, I bought some Gerbings one last year and they're bloody fantastic and a lifetime warrenty too :)

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

:lol: Yeah, the rest was dire :lol: