Standard Heated Grips or Grip, as one is just luke warm

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Re: Standard Heated Grips or Grip, as one is just luke warm

Post by kayz1 »

My Burger they are tuther way around, right hot left cooler, my BMW's always had both the same and a LOT hotter to boot.. :lol:

lloydpb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by lloydpb »

Normally the left-hand grip would be cooler because it is fitted directly onto the metal handlebar, which would conduct the heat away, whereas the right-hand grip would be warmer because of the throttle sleeve and the insulation this would give.

I had exactly the same problem with my Burgman 650 (Sept 2011 model) and it was because the grip was positioned 90 degrees out, so the heated strips were not in the correct place.

Once moved the right hand grip is working perfectly!

Maybe a production line error?

Lloyd

Noggin the Nog
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive

Post by Noggin the Nog »

kayz1 wrote:My Burger they are tuther way around, right hot left cooler, my BMW's always had both the same and a LOT hotter to boot.. :lol:
On the highest setting, my right hand grip gives out at least 70% less heat than the left :roll: On my GS 1150 they were the same temp on both grips or very near.
lloydpb wrote: I had exactly the same problem with my Burgman 650 (Sept 2011 model) and it was because the grip was positioned 90 degrees out, so the heated strips were not in the correct place.
Lloyd
Iwill be asking the dealer to sort it out when it goes in for its first service Lloyd ;)
G.

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

lloydpb wrote:
I had exactly the same problem with my Burgman 650 (Sept 2011 model) and it was because the grip was positioned 90 degrees out, so the heated strips were not in the correct place.
Lloyd
Interesting, I have a Sept 2011 model also.
Lloyd, so where is your grip power cable position now, 90° turned forward and at the bottom?
Before I attempt a diy job or decide to book it in via my dealer, did they indicate how difficult this was and if the grip was stuck to the throttle body?
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

Noggin the Nog
Benefactor

Post by Noggin the Nog »

I've just had a closer look at mine and found it to be as you say 90 degrees out, with practically no part of the heated part coming into hand contact.
Don't know the build date but its brand new this week to me.
Will be getting the dealer to sort it.
Thanks to everyone, for their input :D
G.

bornagainbiker

Post by bornagainbiker »

Hi Noggin (G), I have just easily adjusted my throttle grip.

As it happens both grips are identical and not handed.
If you look at the left hand grip you'll see the power cable comes in at the bottom (on mine).
On the throttle grip it comes in at near the top.

Unscrew the bar end, but make sure you have the washer and there is an internal grommetnut assembly.
With a little force I then rotated the actual grip forward so the power cable was now at the bottom (its more like 180°).
To re assemble the bar end, I screwed the internal assembly onto the bolt then inserted into the bar and tightened.

The heat is now more on the palm area as it should be.

Hope that this helps.
Colin
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

Noggin the Nog
Benefactor

Post by Noggin the Nog »

Thanks Colin,I'll have a look in the morning ;)
There are a couple of other issues with the bike I want to raise with the dealer, like the Maintenance Lid is not fitted right.. out of line on the right side and there is a faint white stain appearing on the passenger part of the saddle it looks like some polish or something as been spilt on it and run off whilst it was on its side stand.
Now the vinyl shine stuff they put on is wearing off its starting to become more prominent :roll:
G.

lloydpb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by lloydpb »

Sorry - been out of the loop for a bit!
My cable comes in on the top front now. difficult to describe but I will take a pic on Saturday and post it.
Lloyd

bornagainbiker

Post by bornagainbiker »

lloydpb wrote:Sorry - been out of the loop for a bit!
My cable comes in on the top front now. difficult to describe but I will take a pic on Saturday and post it.
Lloyd
Doh, that's where mine originally was from the factory. It's now in the same position of the left grip so should have the heat strip in the same location. I'll fully test it over the weekend.
Noggin the Nog wrote:Thanks Colin,I'll have a look in the morning ;)
There are a couple of other issues with the bike I want to raise with the dealer, like the Maintenance Lid is not fitted right.. out of line on the right side and there is a faint white stain appearing on the passenger part of the saddle it looks like some polish or something as been spilt on it and run off whilst it was on its side stand.
Now the vinyl shine stuff they put on is wearing off its starting to become more prominent :roll:
G.
Mine from day one has a squeak after you apply the front brake then move off, but it's gone after a few feet, annoying in slow moving traffic though. On the first service they said they stripped the front brakes etc but still the same. I'll get back to the dealer soon to see what else they can do.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

And I thought mine was the only one! But on mine the right grip warms up faster then the left, which takes a while to catch up.

In fact the standard heated grips are c**p compared to the aftermarket ones on the Honda SH300i I had before. These were so good you could almost use them to make toast! The standard ones on my 400Z take ages to warm up and even when they do they are insufficient to keep my hands warm on really cold days. I'm thinking of changing them for an aftermarket set.