My new 400z ABS...how it's going!

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

My new 400z ABS...how it's going!

Post by Data »

Hi everyone,

Just a very quick update on my bike and what I think of it now I've owned it for just over 5 weeks. Yeah...I know, this may make some of you feel sick as you've probably heard it all before. But we all love our bikes, well, most of us do I guess!

As some may remember, I made the jump to a Burgman 400 from a Vstrom 1000 GT model. Quite a change. But one I don't regret. My dealer says many others are doing the same with record sales of Burgmans going out to ex-big bikers. Because I'm quite tall (6'2") with long legs, I need plenty of room. Now this description may have formed an image of someone looking like a creature from War of the Worlds! You're not wrong!! :o Hence, why all my motorcycles have in the past been very large in engine and frame size. This came with a big price, not just money wise. The weight of most large motorcycles is well known. The 400 Burgman weighs in nearly the same as my Vstrom but unlike the Vstrom is not top heavy. In fact you can be forgiven for thinking the Burgman is much lighter than the Vstrom due to this fact. But it is only 2kg lighter (talking about the 400z ABS not the standard model).

I've used the Burgman everyday but due to too much work and not enough riding time, I've only covered 700 miles in 5 weeks. The first service was uneventful. I watched my dealer perform this through the observation windows from the shop into the workshop. They left no nut and bolt unchecked (all the visible ones) and of course did the usual oil and filter stuff. They failed to find a slight rattley buzz from the tupperware that has developed at idle when at the lights from the front leg shield area. But this can be time consuming and needs extra time to do it properly. They said to drop it back another time and they'll find it if I don't. But having a good prod around on a bike can be fun and informative so I look forward to finding it myself. The bike has not used any oil at this stage.

The engine on this thing is a real gem. It's becoming better and better as the miles go on. Punchy, torquey, smooth and very economical. I can barely believe how good it is. Even during running in I can be first away from the lights without straining the engine limits set by Suzuki. Can't wait to open her right up. I noticed she was revving at 6500rpm at 70mph the other night on the way home. I'm impressed as I thought it might well go higher in the rev range at that speed. I don't know if the revs had 'settled out' as I was still accellerating slightly when I checked the tacho. What do you guys get at 70mph on the tacho?? Fuel economy is variable at between 67-75mpg at the moment. I'm pleased as the Vstrom managed around 34-37mpg most of the time is similar circumstances, and used to get annoyed with me if I loitered under 70mph. It seemed I had to ride a certain way all the time to please the bike. Not so with the new Burgman. It, pleases me all the time, not the other way round.

It goes without saying I find the luggage area just splendid to use and allows me to filter (carefully) throught town traffic. My luggage on my previous bikes virtually prohibited this, so I find it thrilling to arrive way ahead of time wherever I go. And speaking of going...I can really fling this thing around the country road bends with no problem. It's tremendous fun and very safe. I've tuned the suspension (in as far as you can) for a nice stable yet positive ride. As yet I've no complaints. It's not R1 handling or roadholding, but then it's not an R1. The brakes have bedded in fine and are now really really sharp and totally kill the speed in an instant.

I had to raise the headlights up a bit to get a good beam of light going down the road. Now that's done I find I can ride almost without limits on country roads. I also eat lots of carrots to help! :lol:

I've washed and rinsed it just twice in the time I've had it. It's been used mainly in the dry so it really hasn't bee that dirty. Just quite a bit of dust on the rear wheel from the transmission and brake. It doesn't take long to clean, unlike a motorcycle.

In short, I'm really pleased with the bike and can't wait for it to be fully run in so some more fun can start. Really can't fault the bike, and I've tried! :roll:
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Re: My new 400z ABS...how it's going!

Post by poldark »

Great to hear your experience has been such a positive one, must admit having had bikes too (Z750, TDM900 & current Street 675), there's something satisfying being able to "perform" on a scoot.

There's a greater challenge keeping my little SH125 maintaining 40-50 mph everywhere, especially through bends to maintain momentum. Whereas to get the same from a "big bike" would mean speeds way higher with greater inherent danger, unless you're on a track day.

And using half the (ever more expensive) go-go juice gives good wallet benefits, only downside is potential for higher maintenance costs if you use main stealers. :?
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Post by macamxthe1st »

Sold my beloved Bonneville last week as it had become a very expensive "Garden Ornament" due to the sheer usefulness of the Burgman. I bought a very low mileage 2010 which I intend to change in early 2013 (waiting for model change or if is just rumor will buy a ZA.) My point is that when I get a new one the first thing that I will do is remove some of the plastics and apply some anti corrosion treatment as judging from my current bike this will be a worthwhile exercise. It ain't serious but it ain't pretty either.

Geoff.

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Good to hear youre liking the scoot. Youll find that after a short time the back wheel gets covered in scratches, I presume its from road debris and all that brake dust as mine gets filthy very quickly. It is an easy scoot to keep clean too, just keep the top of the engine clean when you wash it, as corrosion can set in there if left all mucky.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Thanks for the comments guys. There's no doubt that the new 0-60mph is in fact the MPG's you can get from your steed. I'm pleased with mine. I bet poldark is very smug about his 90.5mpg...brilliant and the Honda is bullet proof so I hear. Shame about the Bonny mac. I had one years ago. I've wondered about just how clean the top of the Burgman 400 engine stays. I try to carefully wipe away the muck. I'll keep an eye on that. I currently have an abundance of Waxoyl in the garage in a 5 litre can. I intend to spread it liberally over the frame when I have the plastic panels off. But, I honestly don't think I'll ever go back to big bikes. The Burgman for me has proven to be a reall revelation about maxi scoots. I just love having that auto tranny! It's really good fun to ride and so practical...not a come down at all from a big bike.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I bought my 400Z about 3 weeks ago and I can agree with all you say about it. I love mine, but then again perhaps I'm biased as this is my second Burgman!

One question Data... you mentioned 'tuning the suspension.' Does this mean you adjusted the preload on the rear suspension? If so how do you do it? It's different to my last one and the handbook says it's behind a cover without saying where this cover is!

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Post by macamxthe1st »

This should help.

Geoff.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

So that's where it is! Thanks.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

The hardest part for me was getting the little hinged door under the bike open. But it's an easy job otherwise as Mic's video shows.