Fuel economy Burgman 400.

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Fuel economy Burgman 400.

Post by Data »

poldark wrote:
Burgman1958 wrote:An update. Went for a gentle ride from Wolverhampton to Bridgnorth yesterday. Just over 40 miles. 80.3 mpg. My record so far. And one I'm not likely to beat.
Those mpg figures are good but not much different to many 400 scoots, if ridden "sensitively".

My X8 400 averaged over 70 and did 90+ on a gentle country X9ORC rideout to Bury St Edmunds, I think Carmen's Xevo (same engine) did better still.
You are right of course, but the thing that so amazes me is that I just don't ride with economy in mind at the moment. I'm still 'playing' with the throttle and power a lot, to some extent to help finish the bedding in process and improve conforming, and it still does nearly 80mpg! Truly amazing in my book. And now B1958 has virtually thrown down the guantlet with his 80.3mpg, I've got to beat him...no no, not literally with base ball and bat or anything :o :lol: , just his mpg figure! If any non max scooter 400 rider is reading this thread, I'm sure they will be quite sceptical about our claims. Initially, I was to some extent. But not now.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

very promising mpg figures indeed.

what's interesting to note is that between a typical twin 500cc and a single 400cc, although there's only 100cc difference, the extra cylinder makes all the difference and causes around 25-30mpg difference, on the other hand between 400cc and a 125cc, although the displacement difference is 275cc, the mpg difference is comparatively small, around 20mpg...

No wonder the car manufacturers are following the same trend lately and taking cylinders off their new engines (i.e. 2 or 3 cylinder cars instead of 4 pot)
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

I really don't know how to work out mpg. What mileage do you get on full tank. I got 145 miles to £13.60 when I got my k8 on saturday, and i'm currantly on 108 miles with a quarter of a tank left. Is this good or bad.

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

StevenM wrote:I really don't know how to work out mpg. What mileage do you get on full tank. I got 145 miles to £13.60 when I got my k8 on saturday, and i'm currantly on 108 miles with a quarter of a tank left. Is this good or bad.
As a comparison, i filled up my tmax this morning for £15.47 after 125.5 miles driving in london traffic, which makes 50.1mpg and that's a pretty good consumption for my bike, as i rarely get over 45mpg in winters.

To work the mpg out, you need to note how many liters you filled in, say if you got the petrol at £1.379 that means you've filled in 9.86 liters (13.60/1.379) and then divide it to 4.545 to convert to gallons. That makes 2.17 gallons for 145 miles covered.
Then for mpg value, you need to divide 145/2.17 = 66.82mpg.

That sounds a bit low for a 400 burgman. Did you fill up to the brim previously and covered 145 miles before filling up again? The most accurate calculation can be done by filling up to the brim while on centre stand, then after riding for x amount of miles, filling up to the brim again. That way you can judge exact mpg value.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

And don't forget to 'burp' the tank to get the air out. I do it by fuelling on the centre stand until the fuel reaches the tank brim. then if you just rock the bike on it's centre stand to and fro you'll notice the tank emmits an air burp and fuel level drops down. You can fill it to the brim again. I've managed to do this burp thing twice when filling each time. This makes sure the tank is full. But, don't burp it twice if you are simply going to take it a very short run home and put it in the garage as you may waste some fuel if it expands and comes out of the overflow when you park it.

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

i never tried that burp but i always fill up till i see fuel outside the ring that sits at the top and assumed that was all it can take?
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

I think I have it. 11.04 litres 158 miles=65.3 mpg which is better than my first fill up. What should I be expecting?

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Depends on quite a few factors Steve, as you know I'm sure. But based upon what I get from my 400 I'd say you may need a service as although your figure is not bad, I would think you could be getting a bit more. But, as said it depends on what you are using it for and how much slower traffic riding you are doing in town etc length of each journey, speeds used etc etc. But it wouldn't hurt to check the plug and air filter as they are key to getting good performance and economy as you will know. Of course, the other thing is you are still getting used to the bike and probably, like me, are playing with the throttle a bit so it may just be you need to settle down with your riding technique. Keep posting on this though as I'd like to know how you get on with the mpg's.

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Post by road runner »

Just checked out my last mpg before I finish running it in.
159 miles / 9.4 litres = 76.8 mpg. Not bad! At this point its returning more than the SH300 which it replaces.

It will be interesting to compare after running in period, as I suspect it will spend a little more time in the upper rev range.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

mightbesane
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K4

Post by mightbesane »

My best is 79.75 Imperial MPG just last weekend on a quiet country ride.
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. ~Frank ZappaImage